Chapter 20 - Teegan

Caleb waited patiently outside the bathroom for the second morning in a row. For some reason, I felt the need not to have him watch me puke. I know he felt every tremor and was distraught that there was nothing he could do. Still, the idea of him watching me at my worst would have made it, well, worse. So he waited, sitting on the floor just outside the door, filling me with love which I sporadically returned between the heaving bouts.

As fast as it started, the nausea slid away twice as quickly. The reprieve was sooner than I expected. I was breathing hard, wondering if my birth mother had gone through as much. I wondered if my mom would be upset if I looked for my birth mother. There was certainly enough money to trace her down. Caleb's stomach revolted, and I heard and felt him heave.

"Hey!" I shouted, getting off my knees. Caleb heaved again. I opened the door to see him leaning over the waste can. "What did you do?" He lifted his red, smiling face to me. His eyes were tearing, but I could feel his pride. Another surge sent his face back to the garbage can.

"That's not yours," I said loudly, then lowered my voice. I kneeled next to him rubbing his back. "It's my stomach, and I'm carrying the baby."

"Our baby," Caleb said, coughing. "We'll share the pain." There was a surge of something beautiful from our daughter. It's as if she knew what her father had done, maybe she sensed his desire to protect and love. We could certainly sense her. "See, she agrees."

"I suppose you'll want to share the stretch marks?" I whispered.

"Doubt I can do that, but I can kiss them and make them better," Caleb replied as his stomach quieted. I had to smile at him as he envisioned kissing my tummy, then lower. He seemed to find me desirable no matter the condition.

"Feel better?" I asked.

"Yep, in more ways than one," Caleb said, sitting upright. He pushed the can away and took a deep breath. He was so proud of himself.

"Come," I said, standing and holding out my hand. Caleb took it, and I helped him to his feet. I pulled him into the bathroom, and we brushed our teeth. My head was swimming with his pride. He needed to take some of my pain, and I guess I hadn't been letting him. No matter. There was nothing wrong with excess pride in a lover. He led me to the bed and took charge of me. I let him. He needed it, and I shamelessly needed it more.

*****

"Good morning, Captain Garcia," I said, cheerfully. I was apprehensive of his return, but Caleb had improved my mood. Caleb moved forward and shook his hand and said hello more sternly. I could feel Caleb marking his territory, and it pleased me when it came to the military.

"Morning, Ms. Fuller, Mr. McGuire," Garcia returned. "I understand that this isn't exactly comfortable for any of us. I hope I can dispel any of your misgivings."

"She's not a weapon," Caleb said, standing firm between Garcia and myself. I didn't say a word as I watched Caleb draw his line. It reminded me of the party so long ago, when he tore through the football team to save me. He'd always be there for me if I let him. This was a perfect time to let him. Upsetting the military was not a big concern to me. Watching my man be a man was exciting.

"No, I guess she isn't," Garcia said, his eyes no longer traveling to mine.

"She's not going to submit to tests or experiments," Caleb said. It was a thick line he was drawing in the sand. I was glad I had insisted that Victor not be present. The support would have weakened Caleb, and I was enjoying him protecting me.

"Understood," Gracia said, backing off half a step. Caleb nodded. My God, he was sexy when he put his foot down. For a second, I thought he might just hit Garcia to emphasize his points. I smiled, knowing my out-of-whack hormones were enhancing Caleb's actions.