Chapter 24

A cool breeze races across my check. I expect to shiver but from my neck down, I felt very warm. I lift my head off  my sweatshirt and notice that my body is covered in a blanket. I have no idea how that got there, but someone must've put it there after I dozed off. I stood up, with the blanket wrapped around me and decided to go and check if my handprint was finally in the system. Just like yesterday, the scanner flashed red. I needed to get inside. I have school today and the last thing I ate was Panda Express. I would die for some orange chicken and rice right now. I started to brain storm ideas about how I could get off this mountain. Too bad I didn't have teleportation like Tyler. Then an idea popped into my head. What if I shape- shifted into Tyler and went into his thoughts again. I knew I would regret it because all I would see were images of Sara but, I was desperate.

I started thinking about how awkward it must've been for him when we were talking about our kiss in the library. How much he regretted it because he was in love with Sara. With that last thought, I ran my hands through my hair and noticed it was the same length as Tyler. It was a lot easier this time because I knew what to do right away. Suddenly I became more alert. Tyler must already be in school. Images flashed through my head of the cliff outside of the academy. I saw someone carrying a blanket. Then the stranger walks away and I catch a glimpse at his face. A gasps escapes my lips when I realize it's Tyler. The scene ends with a blanket bundled around me. I am shocked that he did that for me. He told me that he didn't like me. I will confront him when he comes out to help me

I thought of myself trapped on the cliff, struggling because the system wasn't letting me in. I heard his breathing like he was running. Why was he running if he could teleport? Seconds later he appeared right in front of me.

"Um," he said awkwardly.

I forgot I was still him, "oh, sorry. Give me a moment."

I started to think about last night. How if felt like my heart was ripped out of my chest. How after he left, I fell to my knees and cried and cried and cried.

A hand on my shoulder snaps me out of my trance.

"Are you okay? You looked like you were about to cry," he says with empathy.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I was just thinking about my mom," I lie.

"I have a question for you," I say, "Why were you running when you could have teleported?"

"When you're in a classroom, you can't use your powers. I ran out of the room and immediately teleported to you. If the teacher would have caught me, I would be in big trouble with Mr. Benedine," he answers.

"Now I have a question for you. How long have you been out here for?" He asks.

I internally roll my eyes. He knows the answer to that question because he saw me last night. I still reply truthfully, "I left my dorm around 3:10."

He pulled out his phone and told me that it is 9:15. That means that I missed 2 of my classes already.

"Are you ready to go inside?" he mumbles.

"I'm very ready," I state.

He grabs my hand and is about to teleport, when out of the corner of my eye I saw the brown wool blanket. I instantly let go of his hand and ran over to get it. I thought I was wearing it, but it must have fallen off.

When I arrive next to Tyler I say, "Now I'm ready."

I grab his hand and soon, we are inside the academy.