Chapter 2

Three Years Later

"Earth to Paige!" Ace yelled next to my ear.

"Yes, I heard you, south ridge then duck left when the sun glints." I repeated his words back verbatim. I could feel him studying me intently questioning his decision to take me along.

"This isn't a practice run Paige, it's dangerous and we risk exposure."

"I know Ace, I'm ready to do this." I had wanted to be in on the big hunt for the past two years and the guys finally felt I was ready. I had trained hard and could outrun Sydney the closest guy in my height and stature. Unfortunately for him he broke his ankle last month and I was able to take his spot.

"I hope so love, I don't think it's going to be as cut and dry as you think. And you'll stand out."

I rolled my eyes at this. I'd stand out? I may be a girl but Ace was six feet tall and covered in tattoos. I think if anything more people were likely to spot him.

"It will be fine," I promised, "I had the best trainer."

He smirked at me. I had won this round for now.

"We leave at 0300 hours, be ready," Ace said before leaving the facility. I packed up the rest of my bag and headed to my room. I'd grab a quick meal at the dining hall then be in bed. My skin was jumping at the chance to be in the sunlight for more of an extended period of time. To breathe in the fresh air rather than the ventilated supply we live on. The day I thought I would die turned out to be the day I was reborn. I was no longer Padget, Princess of the 5th Star of the Covenants, I chose to be Paige. I survived heartbreak and betrayal and a leap of faith into the unknown thanks to the guidance of Rosa. In the past few years I have thanked her profusely for saving me that night. Every time she nods and gives me a small bow.

It took people of the Displaced time to accept me after what had happened to them. For years they have been collecting and growing underground, under the watchful eyes of the Covenant and now Rachel. Rachel is in power and they are going along with her. If only she knew their actions were helping grow a rebellion and feed the anger of many who have been deemed lost or dead.

Since my rescue and arrival at the Displaced I have only confided in Ace the true and complete story about that night. About how my world shattered. Slowly, everyone began to trust me as he did. He was my family now, the Displaced were my people. I was finally able to contribute for my stay and help my family. The hunt happened once a year and was a chance for us to obtain all the meat we would need until the next. As an outsider I have been training and learning the ways of the Displaced. I dressed like them, wore my already dark hair like them, and even sported a woven cross tattoo in the center of my back. I was Displaced.

*****

Three o'clock AM came faster than anticipated. I barely slept all night repeating Ace's instructions in my mind. Replaying the training we have been preparing all year. I scrambled off my bed, barely noticing the chill on the floor, as I stuffed my now toned legs into a pair of black pants and my shoes. I threw on my black camisole top and fitted hoodie to keep the brisk fall air I knew would meet us. I grabbed my bag and brushed my teeth quickly at the mirror before heading out. I saw Noelle down the hallway and decided to catch up with her. Thankfully I wasn't the only girl on the expedition.

"Hi, good morning," I gleefully sang to her. Noelle was not a morning person. I was surprised she wanted to participate in the hunts but suspected it had to do more with the allure, the possibility of sunshine, just like myself.

"Hey girl," She grumbled back. Yup, she was in a fine mood. I laughed.

"Don't be too crabby this morning Elle, you'll scare all the animals away with your negative vibes."

"Yeah yeah, see if I save your ass when a bear is chasing you."

"You will," I promised, "You would miss my charm." I grabbed her arm to move us faster. Ace would be pissed if we showed up late.

As it was we were not the last ones to the meeting spot. I swept my long hair up in a ponytail as we waited for Bryce and Zed to join us. Altogether we would have four teams of four. Each team would cover a direction of the ridge and forest. On each team we had a buddy. You can't leave your buddy, is rule number one. Ace had drilled this into us all month during training. Animals in the woods these days were bigger, more vicious, and often genetically enhanced species created to repopulate after the war of 2515.

The same war the created the 5 Stars of the Covenant and ultimately the Displaced. Obviously, five families deciding to take over and fix the world would not work out. I had finally come to terms with my parent's naivety and the role they eventually played that lead my brother and myself into power. I had to stop my thoughts here before the anger would surface. These days I could contain it better. More of my training and acceptance with Ace. The brother I had now.

Ace gave us all a nod and we started out. The anticipation was growing, something akin to excitement was spreading through the group. Excitement to hunt and kill or excitement to be above ground I wasn't sure. It was intoxicating.

At almost sunrise Roller and Mike pushed the barrier aside. Small glints of the pale sky shone through. Two by two we slipped past the barrier before each group split into their direction. Ace and I were last in order to close the barrier so it wouldn't be noticeable to the naked eye. There would be a timer on the seal to open again in 19 hours.

Ace and I now stood at the barrier. He signaled me the 3-2-1 count down, I rolled out of the opening toward the south ridge. Just before the rising sun glinted above the tree line I ducked left by the boulder. He was there as well and gave me a small tap on my shoulder. So far so good, we just had to make it down the South side in shadows till we reached the trees. My heart was racing with adrenaline, my lungs greedily taking in the air. It felt and smelt like autumn, a realization that hit me like a bucket of ice. I shook my head to clear the thoughts. I needed to help and prove that I could be useful. I was no longer the pretty princess that graciously listened to every complaint and problem and tried to be a fixer. I was no longer letting those around me walk all over me.

I race with Ace down the slope dodging the sun and sticking to shadows for now. I feel so alive I shoot him a grin to show my appreciation. He knowingly shares my expression. He veered right and I kept pace with him. My footing sure and stable. I could feel my own strength in the way I moved.

We reached the first destination within half an hour. I climbed the tree first scouting from the top. Ace climbed up next after sweeping the ground. A couple feet away Roller and Mike gave us the thumbs up, they were secure.

I kept my eyes peeled in my direction for what felt like hours. Finally a low whistle from Roller was heard, something was coming our way. I grabbed my bow and scanned the perimeter as I was taught.

"At your six," Ace whispered near my ear. Sure enough a large ten point buck was standing. I drew back, keeping my right thumb rested by my lips, breathe in...exhale out....Shoot!

*** Paige at the top