Chapter 34

My chest hurt as Killian stood there staring at me

My chest hurt as Killian stood there staring at me. His face paled before turning angry red. Ace came barreling in the doors behind him. For the first time I noticed both men were covered in a layer of dust. Blood speckled their shirts and tears formed in other places.

"What happened?" I asked shakily, my gun still pointed at Rachel's body.

"Just a misunderstanding," Ace said looking at Killian who still hadn't taken his eyes off me, "You should put your safety back on," Ace's voice was low, breaking through to me.

I flipped the switch back in place lowering my arms to my side. The gun felt heavy and hot in my hand as it hung limply at my side. I tried to shake the foggy feeling from my mind. I looked back at the doorway and Killian was gone. Ace was leaning over Rachel, his fingers looking for a pulse at her throat. An angry red blossom had formed on her chest. I looked away. I didn't feel sorry and I wondered if that meant something was wrong with me.

"She's gone," Ace said quietly standing up. "Are you okay?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "Does it make me a horrible person if I don't feel guilty?"

"No," he said, "We all knew this might happen, it's what we trained for. Its' what we fought for."

"All those innocent people," I tried to say but my throat closed off from the tears and sobs that wanted to spill out. I felt Ace's arms go around me, offering support and no judgment.

"Oh sorry," Connor said standing in the doorway. I hadn't thought he would be here with Tristan and Ace.

"It's okay," Ace said giving him a small smile.

"Killian said you guys were back here, everyone is in the living room. HOLY SHIT! The wicked bitch is dead?" Connor's eyes bugged out slightly.

"Yeah," Ace said looking at me, "She's gone." I nodded my head.

"Lead the way," I said to Connor, ready to be out of this room.

I followed him back to the living room. Half the room was filled with members from the Displaced, some had scratches while it looked as if others had gunshot wounds. I found Killian right away standing next to Tristan who was sitting and having his shoulder wrapped.

"What happened," I asked getting onto my knees right by him.

"Just a flesh wound, Pay, nothing to be worried about," he said sucking in a breath as the young girl tied his bandage tightly. Remembering what Rachel had said to Tom I called Ace over.

"It was Rita," I told him.

"What was?" He asked.

"Rita was the one giving information about me to Rachel. I heard her tell Tom when I was waiting." I rushed to explain.

Ace took out his small phone and walked away talking to someone in hushed tones. I turned back to Tristan and Killian. The latter of whom wouldn't look at me. His anger evident in the way his jaw clenched and eyes were narrowed. If I could see those eyes now I knew they would be dark and snapping. I hoped he could forgive me for lying to him to this extreme. At the same time I wanted to yell at him for whatever plan he made that brought half the Displaced here and the battle that ensued. He could have been hurt, I could have been hurt, and where would that have left our son?