Chapter 35

Six weeks later...

I waited in the living room, Able had fallen asleep in his car seat as we waited for Killian to pick him up. So far co-parenting had been working for us. Killian never failed or made excuses to not come see Abel. He was very proactive in our son's life and I fell more in love with him every time he dropped by.

Our situation hadn't changed and after I tried several times to talk to Killian when he was here, he kept saying he wasn't ready. Part of me understood and the other part wanted to rage at him the way he had at me in the Displaced when I wouldn't trust him again. Our relationship always came down to who trusted who and I was losing the battle again. I had thought of having Tristan meet with Killian today instead but I couldn't deny myself the sick opportunity to see him, smell him, hear his voice, and be near him.

I knew Tristan worried about me, Noelle worried about me, and then there was Ace who was ready to kick Killian's ass when needed. Since Rachel's death many of the Displaced had resurfaced and joined with their long lost families. A few of the members who did not have any family in the circles decided to stay underground and keep the Displaced as a sanctuary. To say people were trusting of the rest of us was far from the truth. We didn't blame them. Rachel had cast a widespread fear and darkness over the remaining colonies. Slowly we were trying to rebuild what had been broken, the story of my life. Only this time we were adding some of the lessons from the Displaced in to our culture.

Which was also what I was trying to accomplish today. Killian didn't want to talk about our relationship or our future. I wasn't going to bring it up. That didn't stop me however from dressing in another Noelle approved outfit, tight black leggings and a form fitting royal blue blouse. My hair looked amazing for once, washed free of baby puke, and I had used a minimal amount of make-up. I didn't want to look like I was trying too hard but also wanted to show him what he was missing.

My body had went somewhat back to normal, with the exception of added curves and a silver stretch mark across my side, all beautiful proof I had carried our son. I was fighting back. Tristan came walking down the stairs and took a minute to look me over.

"Girl's night tonight, right?" He asked.

"Yup," I said keeping a finger to my mouth to shush him then pointing at a sleeping Able. We walked out into the hallway. "Noelle is picking me up as soon as Killian is gone," I told him.

My brother's eyes widened then narrowed, "Is it just you two?"

I knew curiosity would get to him. Something had happened to them while I was knocked out but they were both tight lipped as to what it was exactly. My gut told me it wasn't over but they were both to stubborn to admit it.

"Yes just us two, unless Connor decides to join us later."

"Hmmm, Ace is working again?" He asked.

"Yes, he's helping with more repairs to the Displaced and isn't sure when he'll be back." Now that things were getting back to normal Ace and Connor weren't hiding their relationship but it was clearly harder on Ace to be so open. He had spent most of his life trying to hide his preferences and now he didn't have too.

"Okay," Tristan said, "Well be safe and let me know if you need anything." He headed out for the night as well. I was sure I'd see him at some point since I couldn't see him not wanting to check up on Noelle. Maybe it should bother me to see my best friend and brother drooling all over each other but it didn't. If anyone deserved happiness it was those two after what they had been through

No sooner had he left but a slight knock sounded on the door. I swept my shaking hands down over my blouse and lifted my hair nervously over one shoulder. Killian's powerful frame stood in the doorway, I noticed his eyes raked over my entire body. He cleared his throat, a slight blush deepened his cheeks when he realized I caught him staring.

"Hey," I said trying to make the situation less awkward for him. On the onside I was beaming.

"Hey," he said, "Can I come in?"

"Oh! Sure," I backed up letting him have space to cross the threshold. "He's just right in here." Killian followed behind me as we walked to the living room. I felt his eyes on me the entire way and I fought to ignore it. He didn't want me to talk about us so it was a topic I would avoid. It didn't stop me however for trying to entice him with my outfit and let him know of my plans for the evening.

Killian made a beeline for our son when entered the room. While he sat looking at him I went to grab the diaper bag.

"HELLOO!" I heard Noelle's voice carry from the front door. She had a habit of just letting herself in these days. I ran out the living room to stop her before she woke up Abel.

"Shhh!" I said, trying not to giggle.

"Oh is the baby still here," her voice dropped down to what would be considered a normal person's inside voice.

"Yes," I whispered back, "Killian is just picking him up then we can go."

"Ooooh," she said, her eyebrow raising at me. I shook my head.

"I'll just wait outside, but please hurry up. Drinks and lots of grinding are needed tonight," she winked at me before heading outside.

Slightly embarrassed but also pleased I walked back to the living room. Killian was standing next to the car seat and it looked like he had heard every word. I was glad he had. My eyes held his pleading for him to say something.

"Is the diaper bag ready?" He asked.

I felt my chest deflate, all hope for the night gone. Obviously he didn't care what I was doing and it only made me wonder what he did when he wasn't playing parent.

"Yes," I said quietly, trying to keep the tremors out of my voice. I went to the closet and picked the bag off the floor. When I turned around Killian had Abel and was waiting by the door. I followed them to the front door carrying the diaper bag. Killian took the bag from me and I held the front door open.

"See you next Wednesday," he said.

"Yup, see you then," I said, attempting to form my mouth into a smile.

"Oh, and Paige," he said, "Don't do anything I wouldn't do." His cryptic message delivered, I watched as the two boys I loved the most drove off. I was determined now to have a great time tonight and Killian could take his messages and shove them.

Racing down the steps I threw myself into Noelle's car. "Let's go," I said. She smiled wiggling her eyebrows at me, "Girl's night!" she shouted. It had been years since I lost control in a good party scene, tonight I needed a little reminder of the old me.

***AT the top is my imagination of Paige's killer outfit, minus the jacket, and minus Kim K.