Chapter 37

Paige

Two shots and two vodka cranberries later I was feeling the fuzzy effects and lightheartedness of the alcohol. My earlier encounter with Killian still hung in the back of my mind, his words taunting me, making me wonder what he has been up too. We never said we wouldn't date or hook up with other people and I hated myself for wondering if that's what he had been doing. Maybe that was why he had zero interest in talking with me about our relationship.

"Let's dance bitch," Noelle demanded, pulling me onto the dance floor again, and out of the depressing mood I was sinking into. All night our routine consisted of shot, dance, drink, dance, shot. The music pulsed around us, I could tell the people from the colonies were really appreciating the good vibes that had come from the Displaced. I had never seen the place look so diversified.

"WHooo!" Noelle yelled as a gust of cool air and fog blew up at us. I couldn't help it and laughed along with her losing myself, as I had promised I would tonight. I noticed an attractive guy dance up behind my friend, she shrugged and gripped his hands on her hips. Taking that as a sign she was okay I continued dancing on my own, closing my eyes, and letting my hips roll to the beat. I pictured Killian in my mind and his sexy grin that was slightly uneven, his messy waves, and the way his eyes would probably deepen if he knew the thoughts I was having about him.

Warmth spread over my back, as a firm hand gripped my hip, pulling me against a stone wall. My eyes flew open looking for Noelle. My friend's eyes went wide before a mischievous smile tugged at her lips. I semi-relaxed until I smelled a faint hint of cinnamon and the smell that always belonged to Killian. His hand moved up my waist until it rested heavily on my stomach. He rolled his hips against mine to the music, I felt myself melting into his embrace, moving with him.

I don't know how long we danced like that, one song turned into another, yet we kept our own pace never moving away from each other. After a few more songs, Killian's breath tickled my neck when he leaned down to say "We need to talk," in my ear. I nodded my agreement, my stomach starting to do flip flops as he led me off the dance floor. I mean if he came to find me and danced with me it couldn't be bad news, right?

I signaled to Noelle that I was leaving with Killian, she was still dancing like crazy with a different guy now. She smiled at me and waved. At least she wasn't pissed I was leaving girls night. On the way out I spotted Tristan in a booth surrounded by some of his old friends from the colonies. He nodded at Killian as we passed but his gaze went right back to the dance floor. From this point I could see Noelle was the object of his fascination. Those two! If only they could figure it out. Deep inside I knew they would be good for each other. They deserved to be happy.

Killian didn't stop when we reached the front doors. His hand held firmer to mine as he directed our path through the parking lot his car. He stopped to open my door for me and soon we were off. Killian hadn't spoken since the club, his body was coiled tight, his knuckles white as they gripped the steering wheel. I sank lower into my seat debating if I should try and start the conversation or wait. Judging by the clenching of his jaw I decided to wait. I didn't have to wait long however before we were stopped in front of my place.

My heart dropped. What if Killian didn't want to talk he just wanted me out of the club? Anger rose in my chest as he walked around to open my door, but I beat him to it. I flung myself out of the car and ran up the front steps teetering slightly on my heeled shoes. My ears rang with rage at my own stupidity that I didn't hear Killian coming after me until I was spun around and pushed against the door. He held me in place, my angry gaze connecting with his stormy eyes. He pried the keys from hand and used them to unlock my door, never taking his body away from mine.