Chapter 4

"Baby girl, you have to get up," Ace said to me a few hours after I had barricaded in my room. Peeking out from the covers I saw Noelle had joined him in my room. She gave me a sympathetic smile. Both were my anchors of strength for the past few years. I would stay under these covers forever if it weren't for them. As it was I should have locked my door.

"I can't," I whispered, "How could they do that?" My voice cracked with unshed tears. Ace laid down next to me throwing his bulking arm over my waist. Noelle moved to the edge and held my hand tightly.

"I wish I knew," he said, "they are their own brand of crazy. You have to be stronger than them. You are a good person."

"No one will think that. They'll still associate me with them."

"No, Paige we know you are good. Everyone is worried about you," Noelle soothingly said dragging her nails up and down my arms.

"I can't face the council yet," I cried, "I don't know what to say."

"You will be fine Paige, we'll be with you. The council knows you aren't to blame," Ace reassured me, giving me an extra squeeze around the waist.

"Ace is right Paige, my parents stopped me on my way down here, they mostly just want to know if you think it is Rachel," Noelle said.

"Of course it is. It could be all of them." I said with finality. I knew the horror of being at Rachel's mercy. I would have to face the council. I could do it. "Ugh what does a girl wear to talk with the council?" Thank goodness for me Noelle was an expert at fashion. "Got it covered," she said handing me a pile of an ensemble. Her dark red hair swishing back and forth as they left me to get presentable.

Without over thinking it I pulled on the black leather pants and purple sweater. My hair had dried while I slept hanging effortlessly down my back in straight streams. I decided to go the extra mile and put on a stroke of lip gloss, pinched my cheeks, and threw some light tan shadow across my eyelids. Sighing I turned from the mirror wondering when the light of happiness would ever come back to my eyes. They were just dark pools of murkiness...like the mud color of the river.

I loved my friends. Ace, Noelle, and the addition of Krueger waited for me outside my room. Flanked around me we walked up the passageways to the center offices. People glanced at us as we walked by but no one said a word. With Ace and Krueger around I couldn't blame anyone for not saying anything. Both men were intimidating unless you knew them. Krueger had a fierce face but it softened when he gazed at Noelle. The girl was blinded to this information. She preferred to protect herself rather than let many in. Love does strange things to people.

By the time we reached the offices my nerves had dwindled to a steady flutter in my stomach. Noelle had told me what to expect and I had people on my side this time. Ace gave my shoulder a gentle squeeze before I opened the door and stepped in. At a long rectangular table sat fifteen of the most prestigious members of the Displaced.

Their ages ranged from young to old. The original members were Loitus and Maria. Maria had been accused of seducing her boss who worked in the Covenant. Instead of believing the allegations her husband had packed them up and they ran. By accident the hopeless couple found a way to the underground compound. With the help of Rosa they have been saving and helping individuals cast aside. Individuals like me. Individuals I had no idea that their lives had been ruined under the guise of happiness and perfection in the Covenant. Sadly, my parents and even my grandparents had been involved.

When the war ended five families took over for balance. A monarchy did not work, communism definitely had negative effects, and a democracy now no longer worked either. My family was one of the five. Five to rule each section of the land. North, East, South, and West. Any decisions that were made was voted on by the people of the covenant then voted on by us. There had to be a majority on every vote. A month before I ran one of the members had gone missing. Leaving us vulnerable at four. The three of them turned against me leaving me at Rachel's mercy. A mercy that, apparently, had led many to the Displaced.

Standing before them now I felt their pride radiate. They had created a haven and a protected force down here. I had no idea their plans for the future but I would fight with them and live with them as long as they would have me.

"Good evening, Paige," Loitus greeted me in a warm and friendly tone. His wife next to him and several others around the table smiled at me. I smiled back my hand trapped in a small wave at my side.

"Good evening," I murmured.

"I'm sure you know why we wanted to speak to you today," he asked me.

Looking quickly at Noelle's parents I nodded my head yes.

"It is a horror to have seen the evil the Covenant is capable of," he went on to explain, "We just want to be sure in our justification that you believe they could have been responsible for the massacre?"

"Sir, I would hope my brother and the people I had once called family could not have that type of evil inside them. But I know better. I spent a week locked in chains hearing horrible things around me. Rachel was responsible for keeping me there, she told me it was her. I don't know where that left Tristan and Killian, but they tend to side with her when it's convenient for them," I explained to the people around me. Without realizing it a few tears had escaped in trails down my face.

Loitus cleared his throat but it was Rosa who spoke next. Her voice just as raspy as the night I met her.

"My dear, I of all people know the condition you were in the night I found you. If you think there is a chance these horrible crimes were committed by the Covenant, who are we to disagree?"

"Thank you. I really hope I am wrong, but I see no other explanation." I said. They all shook their heads in agreement.

"You may go, thank you for your time Paige," Loitus said.

I turned and left happy to finally breathe again. Noelle, Krueger, and Ace were waiting for me on the other side of the door. Ace swooped me up in a bear hug, "How did it go," he said into my hair.

"It went about as good as expected I guess," I said as he placed me back on my feet. I turned to Noelle, "You were right they mostly wanted my opinion on if I thought the rest of them could be involved."

"That's what I thought they'd say, I'm glad it wasn't horrible Paige," she also gave me hug. I was beginning to feel a little bit better. Only a small twinge of doom stayed behind in my stomach.

"Let's go eat shall we?'" Krueger asked. We all followed him out of the hallway the cafeteria. In any situation Krueger could always eat. My friends seemed on to a better state of mind.

***Noelle at the top (Danneel Ackles)