Chapter 25

Ace led us threw some back doors to the commanded area where surveillance of the Displaced was located. When we walked in the woman at the computer smiled at us before she continues to monitor the screen. It was then I noticed a few groups of the elders moving down the halls in all directions.

"Whats going on?" I asked pointing at the screens. Noelle looked slightly pale monitoring her father on the one screen.

"They're looking for Kelsey." Ace said. "What is everything she said Paige?" he asked turning to me.

"That we're too late and she said 'there is more already here'. I don't know if she means more snitches like her or more of Rachel's soldiers."

Connor whistled next to me.

"What did you see?" Ace asked him.

"I saw them going at in the hall. I ran after Kelsey when she took off but she disappeared in the crowd by the cafeteria." Connor said. Ace nodded digesting the information.

"What happens now?" I asked Ace.

"We wait," he replied, "The council is looking for Kelsey, I'm sure she'll receive the serum and be interrogated. Loitus has asked that security bulk up and we all be prepared." He met each of us with a sturdy glance.

"More than likely they'll choose an above ground approach right?" Noelle asked. Ace shrugged his shoulders.

"It's hard to say. She's a crazy broad with no conscience but if it's her soldiers they may ask we surrender to the tops before engaging," Connor filled in.

"Regardless," Ace said, "We're all on duty this evening. The council is calling a lock down and everyone is eating in separate sectors." He used a finger to indicate the sections on a map. It was a perverse sounding plan but it made sense. If there was an attack we wouldn't all want to be the same room at the same time. A sharp nudge to my side brought me back from the depressing side street my thoughts had turned down. She gave me a glare. I forgot she knew about my appointment earlier. I shook my head. I needed to tell Killian first before I included everyone else. I could survive a shift of security. She frowned at me but I turned away. If Ace and Connor saw our silent disagreement they didn't comment. I suspected they were wrapped in their own thoughts

Dinner passed quickly as I shoveled food into my mouth. It didn't taste that appetizing but I was now aware of the life I carried and we needed nutrients. There was a significantly less amount of people in the room as everyone was split. The whole congregation had been filled in from different elders. I knew quite a few people were giving me looks. A few believed me but I knew some felt doubtful that our secret hideaway could be infiltrated. Still no one had seen Kelsey. Tiffany was questioned earlier by Krueger and she burst into tears anytime someone tried to ask her anything. She wrapped herself around Killian and wouldn't let go. I hadn't had an opportunity to talk with him yet and was wondering if I should possibly wait. Yet, if something did happen I knew he would be even angrier if I hadn't told him.

Connor followed my gaze to where Killian and Tiffany were now sitting away from our table. "Think she knew?" He asked.

"Honestly, I doubt it. She seems the less intelligent of the two."

Connor laughed out loud. "She could be playing him." He said a little more seriously. Killian had chosen her for now. Anything I may say about her would seem petty or worse, jealous. Still, I loved him and didn't want him to get hurt. Connor seemed to understand my dilemma. He reached over and squeezed my hand. I squeezed back.

A few minutes later Tiffany got up and went to dump her tray. This was my first opportunity to talk to Killian alone. I got up quickly while Kruger and Connor were discussing the councils approach to the situation.