Chapter One, Part Three: Welcome to the Homefront

A loud ringing bell ripped me from sleep. I sat up gasping, wondering what it was. It echoed throughout my room in a strict rhythm: ding dong, bing bong.

It didn't take long to see grey static on a T.V. monitor which I had failed to notice the night before. Cautiously I slipped out of bed and approached it, afraid that someone could possibly see me through it. At first I noticed nothing until a strange silhouette shimmered on screen and a high yet menacing voice replaced the bell.

"Hello? Hello? Can you hear me?" There was a pause in which I stared intently at the screen. Someone...someone was here?

"Ehem, you've all been waiting so patiently, but now's the time for the game to begin. Come to Town Hall immediately!"

What-what was this? What was going on? Town Hall?

I tumbled around the room, frantically snatching up my tennis shoes and shoving my feet in them. Someone would give us answers?

'...now's the time for the game to begin!'

Game...what game?

I tugged my laces tight and grabbed the key as I slammed the door behind me. All around me the others were also emerging from their homes, bleary eyed and frantic.

Saori rushed by and I caught up to her stride. "What do you think is going on?"

"I don't know." She said fiercely, fumbling with her dark green jacket. "But I have a feeling-"

"It's not good?" Haruko finished for her, coming to our side.

Saori didn't reply, but her look chilled me. It couldn't be that bad right?

I tightened my loose ponytail as the three of us entered Town Hall first. Our footsteps reverberated from the arching ceiling and artwork on the walls. No one was in sight.

"I don't get it. Where are they?" Saori asked loudly.

"Maybe they're waiting for us to arrive first." Haruko inferred. I had a feeling that she was right.

Next the twins came through the doors looking wide awake as though they had been up for hours. "Do any of you know what's-?" Kimiko began.

"No." The three of us answered in unison.

Their faces fell.

"Ugh. How many times am I going to be woken up like this?" Kyofu stumbled into the hall, his dark hair sticking up on one side.

I rolled my eyes at him and a response found its way onto my lips but I swallowed it. There were more important things to say.

Maukena showed up next, her hair hastily arranged in another bun. Hana soon followed looking livid along with Mae who had her arm around Ryu of course.

Kaz appeared next, his orange hair glaringly bright above his two different colored eyes. Utsumi after, hands nervously kept within his lab coat pockets.

"Is everyone here?!" Kiyoshi blundered through the door, his clothes still crisp and unwrinkled. "I thought I might be the first one." Everyone noticed the touch of fear in his voice.

"Damn it. I was trying to sleep." Chikara grumbled, brushing past Kiyoshi who gave him a dark look but didn't say anything.

Renji slipped into the room, yellow eyes watching us all carefully. He kept his hands within his pockets.

I watched the door waiting for the last person to show up.

"Is everyone here? Is everyone here?!" The same high voice from the T.V. spoke loudly.