Chapter Five, Part Four: Hello Old Friends, We Meet Again

Dread captivated the atmosphere with the morning announcement. The usual chime resonated with more than just the familiar rhythm, today it shook with a foreboding threat. The sound, partnered with it's sinister warning, echoed through Saori's house calling those of us who remained through the night to raise our heads. Each face said the same thing; no one had truly slept after Monokuma's motive. Tiredness and fatigue was on everyone's face in some way or another.

The twins were the first to stand, retreating from the mess of blankets and pillows that had become rather tangled throughout the night. They rose warily, smoothing out their clothes and finding their shoes. Kimiko unbraided her hair only to braid it back in place, securing any loose strands that had escaped.

I observed them in a disappointed sort of way, knowing that I too would have to climb to my feet and prepare for what was waiting outside.

"Do you think he'll really kill one of us?" The question was proposed softly in quiet fear.

Blinking, I rolled to my right side to look at Mae. She watched me, gloom hanging like curtains over her dark eyes.

"I don't know." I mumbled truthfully.

"It's not about Monokuma killing us." Both Mae and I turned towards Saori who was sitting up, pushing blankets out of her way.

"It's about us." Akemi said standing near the front door. She hesitantly tugged her sweater down, making sure it covered her torso.

Mae sat up, looking between the Singer and Illustrator. "So you don't think he's actually going to kill someone?"

"We'll have to see." Saori grumbled, rising to her feet.

Groaning I forced myself to stand, shaking the warmth of the improvised bed away. "We should probably hurry."

I caught the sound of Mae sighing at the same time Kimiko nodded.

"Not even time to get coffee..." Saori whispered in an agitated manner. She hastily ran her fingers through her hair before cursing. "Oh who gives a fuck right now?"

"I wonder how Haruko and Kena slept." Mae thought out loud, adjusting her skirt.

"Me too." I agreed, fixing my own clothes.

After the motive the night before Saori had solemnly told each of the girls that they didn't have to stay over if they didn't want to. I had declined, my bedding was there anyway, why bother with it now? And while the other girls agreed to stay as well, Haruko had vanished once her stuff was gathered, and Kena followed her out shortly.

"Probably the same as us." Saori pointed out.

I found myself deeming that to most likely be true.

"Is everyone ready?" Kimiko asked, hand on the doorknob.

Muttered 'yes's were tossed about and so the door was peeled open and we greeted the morning sun.

After rounding Haruko's house our destination became evident. Directly across from her home, standing tall at the edge of the lake was the large promised wheel. It stood on a tripod wrapped in colored lights that blinked to an unheard rythm. Their power had no source that I could see, but something made them gleam brightly even in the morning sun.

The wheel itself was large, looking as though if stood up on the ground it would reach my chest. Just as Monokuma had said it was separated into sections, each one bearing one of our names. It was colored with black, white and grey making it dull to behold but the lights that climbed up the stand and framing the wheel brought ones attention back in. The only other thing of bright significance was the neon pink arrow that, for the time being and to my horror, was resting on my own name.