Chapter Eight: Despair Out of Love

Toshiro led the way to the small space between Mae's and Ryu's homes. We followed smeared trails of blood that were splashed on the ground and house walls. I was extremely careful not to step in any of it, my heart sinking.

I was the last one to arrive other than Kaz who was nowhere in sight. I didn't know how I should react anymore. Should I gasp? Cry? Shout out curses? It didn't really matter what I did. It was wrong and horrible no matter what. Besides, someone was already doing all three.

Mae was knelt on the ground, hands wrapped tightly around Ryu's shoulders. The Hitman had seemingly collapsed on his back, eyes empty of all life, suit and mouth splotched with blood.

I came to stand between Kiyoshi and Toshiro, watching Mae with numb sorrow. Kena was nearby, crouching behind her while the Dancer cried loudly. "He's fine, h-he's fine." She shook his body. "Open your eyes!" Her voice cracked weakly. "You've s-survived worse th-than this damn it!"

"Mae." Haruko stood just to the right of Ryu's body, her muscles tense but her tone implied that she could've been reaching out to Mae in some way. However Mae appeared to have heard nothing, and continued to shake Ryu.

Kena leaned forward and took Mae's arms in hand, pulling her away. At first the Dancer resisted, but she was too weak to put up a fight. Kena helped her to her feet, holding her in a close hug, allowing Mae to cry on her shoulder.

I felt like I needed to say something to her. To do something. My heart ached to bring her some sense of comfort but I was at a loss as to what that could be. I couldn't look at her slumped frame anymore so I returned focus to the body. My eyes picked up on an eerie blue tinge of Ryu's skin, which only made my head spin.

"He's not dead." Mae whispered. "H-he's not!" She suddenly broke away from Kena and spun to return to Ryu, but Haruko grabbed her by the waist.

"Ryu is dead, Mae." She told her passively.

Mae glared down at her. "He's not dead! He'll be fine!"

Haruko shook her head. "He is dead. You can't-"

A deafening crack reverberated off the walls around us and Haruko's head jerked to the right. Mae's hand still hovered in the air for a few seconds before it lowered to her side.

"Oh Mae..." Kimiko breathed with tears in her voice.

Haruko stood impossibly still and Mae broke down into tears again. Four gouges were visible on Haruko's left cheek, some blood already escaping the torn skin. The Seamstress carefully let go of Mae, who fell to her knees and backed away. Haruko didn't appear fazed but her eyes were hard.

"I'm sorry Mae, but we have to investigate." Toshiro spoke serenely, pity on his face.

"Can't we give her a moment?" Kimiko pleaded.

Kyofu watched dejectedly. "Monokuma has shortened our time for each death, she doesn't have a moment..."

"I will go tell Kaz what has happened." Haruko said stiffly and turned to leave.

"Hold on!" Kiyoshi called. He reached into his coat pocket and removed a silk handkerchief. "Here." He handed it to the Seamstress.

Haruko accepted it slowly. "Thank you Kiyoshi."

He nodded but I doubted she saw it. Haruko had already turned away again, handkerchief pressed against her cheek.

"Guys." Kena captured our attention. "We have his file." She held out her handbook so we could see the screen displaying Ryu Okamoto's Monokuma File.

"He's really dead." Akemi said with wide eyes. "It's only been a day!"

Toshiro rubbed his head. "There must be a reason. I didn't think anyone else would die..."