Chapter Nine, Part Three: The Last of Us

"We need to talk." Toshiro said, standing on Kyofu's doorstep. He glanced into the room noticing me. "Good we're all here." The Actor stepped past the door and Kyofu, entering the room.

"What's going on?" I felt my stress level rising.

Kyofu kicked the door closed and leaned against it.

Toshiro glanced between us seriously. "I found this on the table in my house." He held out an object in his hand. An object that was familiar.

"What the-?"

"Wait." Kyofu interrupted my outburst.

A conclusion was drawn in Toshiro's mind. "I knew it." He didn't need to be prompted to explain. "I was in the Arcade this morning and when I came back to my house I found this in the dinning room." He raised my notebook up so we could both see it. "It had a note from you." Toshiro indicated to me and removed a piece of paper from his pocket. Paper that was used on a typewriter.

"I didn't write any note." Now I was the one denying something.

"Well from the reaction I just saw I believe you."

Kyofu stepped away from the door. "What does it say?"

The page crinkled when Toshiro unfolded it and he read the contents aloud. "'I don't want to risk giving this to you out in the open. Inside is a list of those who I think could be the Despair or the Liar. I need help narrowing it down. -HN.'"

I practically tore the paper from his hands. My eyes scoured the page. "Of course. It's typed. Whoever did this doesn't know my-"

"Handwriting?" Toshiro shook his head and pointed at the spot my eyes were now fixed upon.

HN.

Exactly the way I signed my initials, with the H and N sharing a line.

"I don't get it." There was so much in my head.

Kyofu spoke. "Did you read it?"

"No." Toshiro shook his head. "I was going to but before I did it struck me as really strange. Why would Hon'yomi leave me a notebook when we could just talk?"

"And how would I have even got inside your house?"

The Rogue was quick to speak. "Don't look at me."

"He's right." The Actor rubbed his neck uncomfortably. "I sort of didn't get my door fixed."

I blinked. "What? Why not!?"

He shrugged. "I just- forgot about it really."

"Great." Kyofu sighed. "And I don't think Kiyoshi is up to fixing anything at the moment."

I tried not to think about that. "You really didn't read it?"

He handed it to me. "Not at all. I decided to ask you about it but you weren't home so I was going to ask Kyofu instead."

I held it tightly, scrutinizing the cover. Whose eyes had seen between the covers other than my own? "This is all bad. The three of us," I looked at them both. "We've made ourselves into targets."

"Wait, all bad?" Toshiro frowned. "What did I miss?"

I flashed back to moments before when I was yelling at Kyofu. "I found a note like this at my house." I removed it from my shirt. "Same paper and it's typed but not signed. It was left where I last had my notebook. It made it seem like Kyofu had taken it."

The Actor took my note and skimmed it. "What does this have to do with Kyofu?"

I huffed, not wanting to go into the details. "It's from a poem of mine, but the point is the mastermind or Despair or whatever doesn't want us to trust each other."