Chapter Two, Part Two: Despair on the Homefront

~ALL RISE!~

It was like a curtain had rose and we were on display for the entertainment of others. The only 'other' was Monokuma of course but it still felt as though this was all one show. I wondered who exactly the audience was.

The trial room was large with a high ceiling and lots of open space. The only structures in the room were a tall throne-like chair and sixteen podiums arranged in a large circle facing inwards. On the wall just behind the 'throne' was a blank screen. In the corners of the room there were more cameras fixed on us.

We spread out and I stood by myself waiting for the bear to arrive. Monokuma burst into existence, standing before the enormous chair. "Do like my courtroom?! It's just so hopeless, right?!"

Looking around I couldn't quite agree. It didn't look like 'hopeless' to me. I scrutinized Monokuma for saying such a thing in the first place. This bear definitely had something against hope.

"It's terrible." Ryu sounded anything but serious. "When the hell are you going to tell us what happens next?"

The bear shouted glaring down at the Hitman. "Find your assigned spot and the trial will begin!" Monokuma sat in the chair and gestured to the podiums.

Simultaneously we each walked over to the stands, looking for our place. Mine was on the complete opposite side of Monokuma. Reluctantly I stood, facing down the evil bear. Toshiro was also straight across from me, while Kena was on my right, and Kiyoshi on my left. There was a spot for everyone, including Hana. At the far end of the circle on Toshiro's right was a framed photograph of the Sailor. Except it was crossed off with a huge bright pink X.

"Let's begin with an explanation of a trial." Reluctantly we looked to Monokuma. "During the trial, you will present your argumetns for who the killer is and vote for the 'whodunnit'. If you vote correctly, then only the blackened will die."

I scanned everyone's faces, watching for some flicker of fear from a possible murderer.

"But if you vote wrong I'll punish everyone besides the blackened and they will be allowed to leave the community!" His voice was sickeningly happy.

"Do...we really have to do this?" Kaz asked.

"Unless you want to die." Mae said looking annoyed. "We have to."

Haruko looked thoughtful. "But are we sure there is a killer among us?"

"Hana's d-dead! Of course there is!" Kiyoshi shouted.

Haruko didn't respond, she looked like she was deeply contemplating something.

"Puhuhuhu! Does everyone understand?" Monokuma covered his mouth with a paw.

"Yes." There was no denying the harshness of Kyofu's tone.

"What now?" Chikara asked.

"Before we jump to conclusions I think we should start with what we already know as a group." Everyone looked to me when I spoke.

"You mean the Monokuma File." Akemi said.

I nodded.

"I remember what it said." Kena said from beside me. "Hana drowned at 6:30 in the morning, but there weren't any signs of injury."

"6:30?" Chikara looked troubled. "That was only thirty minuets before the morning announcement."

"That doesn't sound like a very long time to kill someone." Kaz said.