Chapter 9

Hey guys! Sorry for not updating lately, Family stuff. Please don't give up on anything you set your mind too! Vote, comment, enjoy! -Orangelegend xx

As I walked downstairs, I noticed my mom sitting on the couch with Jack. Oh gosh I thought. Why did I need to pee? I slowly walked into the room, watching Jack and my mother turn to look at me. "Hey sweetie! What's up?" My mom asked. "Nothing much. Do you mind if Jack and I talk for a bit?" I questioned and she gave me a warm smile. "No problem honey." My mom then got up off the couch, squeezed Jack's shoulder, and went back to the kitchen. "So, how ya doing?" I asked and Jack shrugged. "I don't know. I wanna know what happened but at the same time I don't. What if its something serious? Or what if I'm just blowing everything out of proportion?" I let him ramble on for about a minute before I interrupted. "Jack, everything is gonna be ok. I'm always here for you." I comforted him and he nodded. "Thanks Av," He stood up and wrapped his arms around me while I reacted right away. "Hey we're friends forever and always. deal?" I asked, thinking this was what Jack needed right now. "Forever and always," He replied back. I smiled and grabbed his hand leading him to the kitchen. Little did I know that deal was gonna help both of us in the future.

After dinner, Jack and I headed for his house to grab some stuff so he could sleep over. While Jack was packing I snuck out to the kitchen to find his mom washing the counter top. "Hey Momma Griffo," I greeted and she jumped, startled then spun around. "Oh um hi Ava," She started. "I don't wanna get in your business but what was that before? Jack's really worried." I told her and her forehead crinkled, I inferred she was thinking hard. "Oh um, it was nothing for him to worry about Ava. Just tell him everything's gonna be ok alright hon? thanks." Mrs. Griffo than turned back to the counter and just stared at it. The phone then started to ring so I politely excused myself. Leaving the kitchen, I hid behind a wall so I could eavesdrop on Momma Griffos conversation. I knew it wasn't right but I still felt bad for Jack, not knowing what was happening. I couldn't make out many words but I heard her pleading someone to just listen to her. I also caught something about for the kids and then heard the phone being slammed down. I scurried up the stairs to Jack's room so I wouldn't get caught but was debating telling him about the phone call and suspicious behavior. I only heard some of the conversation so I could have everything wrong but I had a bad feeling his parents were having relationship issues. Before I knew it I was at Jacks bedroom door. "You about ready?" I asked him, hearing the zip of his duffel bag. "Yeah, lets go," He commented and pulled me towards the door. We took the stairs two at a time and raced past the kitchen, trying to avoid his mom. Once we made it out of the house, our running turned into a walk.

"So what do you wanna do first?" I asked Jack. "Something fast. I'm thinking about going to bed early," Jack said and I forced a smile. "Ok sounds good." Our walk across the street was full of comfortable silence but I was thinking about telling him what was happening. I didn't want to make his day worse though. But if it was my parents wouldn't I want to know? "Av?" Interrupted my crazy thoughts and I noticed Jack staring at me. "Yeah?" I asked trying to get back in the program. "We need your key to get back in the house." He said. I pulled the house key out from the potted plant next to the house, and unlocked the door for us to get in. "Sorry about that..." I started and he cut me off. "No its fine. I think I'm going to bed." He stated and climbed the stairs. "Well, ok." I frowned and followed him. After showing him to the guest room and where the bathroom was, I headed to the basement. I flipped on the light and noticed the ladder was moved. "Oh yay," I commented with fake happiness and moved the ladder to the opening in the ceiling. I slowly climbed the ladder to find my special spot in tact and ready to use. I squeezed through the opening and layed down on the familiar purple carpet I placed there ages ago. I shut my eyes slowly trying to evaporate the thoughts swarming in my head. Should I tell him? Or should Jack not know? Tomorrow we were going to the mall with his mom. How awkward can it get? Not soon enough I fell asleep with a massive headache, just praying for all the problems to go away.