Chapter 22 - Valorous' evolution

Valorous' evolution

- I can't believe Valorous will become a chenevolu!

Akólouthos walked from one side to the other in the waiting room of the Evolutionary Progression Center of the Provisional Colony where the dog had been hospitalized.

- You better sit down. You're making me dizzy! – Mila chided her friend.

- Have you met his Advisor yet? – The boy asked as he settled on the seat beside his friend.

- Not yet, but I think we'll meet him today. – She replied without taking her eyes off the magazine she was perusing.

- I just didn't expect that Valorous were going to Wicnion! – Akólouthos spoke, worried.

For an hour, the two friends waited in the waiting room. Mila tried to calm Akólouthos at any cost, but he wouldn't keep still. He repeated several times the story of when he found the puppy in a box at Books and Astral Accessories' door and how the dog was hurt. He was reminded of joyful moments next to Valorous and how happy he was to participate in his evolution. The Evolutionary Progression Center of the Colony had a genetic lab but before Valorous would go through several intelligence tests to ensure his total adaptation to a more developed body with more potential for learning.

A bright-skinned man came in the room to call them.

- Mr. Acolyte?

- Yes, it's me! – Akólouthos responded promptly, already rising.

- Could you come with me? – The man said with a smile. – Let's go see Valorous now.

Akólouthos pulled Mila by her arm and went after the Neonian. They walked down a long corridor and inside the few doors ajar; they could see several pre-conscious animals surrounded by groups dressed in white. It was no different when they entered the room where Valorous was.

The dog was lying in a hospital bed surrounded by four people wearing white clothes. Mila recognized them by their uniforms; two were geneticists and two assistants. As they approached, Akólouthos realized Valorous was awake for as soon as he saw him, the dog started barking compulsively. The man excused himself and approached his friend, stroking his head.

- Hi, Valorous! I understand that you disagree with it now but don't worry; it will be all right! – Akólouthos was heartbroken, but he knew it was the best to do.

- He's quite agitated but passed all the tests of intelligence. – Said one of the men in white. – We'll give him something to relax a bit, ok?

- Could I be alone with him for a while? – Akólouthos asked. – I promise that I won't be long.

- Okay. – The man agreed. – We will be in the corridor, call us when you're done.

The four white dressed men and Mila moved away from Akólouthos and Valorous heading towards the door.

- Mila, not you! – The boy asked with a trembling voice. – Stay with us.

His friend nodded and went back, positioning herself across the bed. When the three were alone in the room, Akólouthos embraced Valorous and the dog began to moan.

- Don't be afraid Valorous; don't be! Look, I'll confess something to you. – Akólouthos put his mouth to Valorous' ear and said very softly. – I'll go to Wicnion on a mission and be born there too! I promise I will do everything to find you!

Hearing Akólouthos' words, Valorous immediately began to lick him across the face. Mila was thrilled; after all, the puppy seemed to really understand what he was told. She walked over and the two embraced Valorous and remained so for some time, until Mila pulled back from them.