Chapter 23 - The Ergonius

The Ergonius

After projecting herself in a dream for Zogham and making love to him, Julianna was being severely reprimanded by the Director Ras Yerodin. Despite all the softness in his voice, she could tell he wasn't happy with what she had done. He also scolded her co-Advisor Myrthila Granjem for leaving her so free in her studies without directing her focus of learning. Julianna felt extremely frustrated and disappointed with herself. It was like all she learned so far had no more meaning, since she behaved like an impulsive teenager and was being scolded like a silly child.

As she listened to the Director talk, she wasn't able to look at Mrs. Granjem, ashamed for betraying her trust, placing her at that vexatious situation.

Still, to her surprise, after the long sermon, the Director concluded that Julianna had greatly advanced in her knowledge and she lacked only the maturity to deal with all that information she absorbed so quickly. He congratulated Myrthila Granjem on the excellent work of guidance, despite everything, and Julianna for the commitment and progress in learning. Therefore, he determined that both were to go on a tour with a study group to a level 4 planet, of similar density to the Provisional Colony and stay six months there.

Hearing this, Julianna looked at Mrs. Granjem who was smiling at her and both embraced excited about the news. In the Colony, she learned that the coronation of any study is fieldwork. This meant having the opportunity to experience some experiences without being tied to a physical body. Julianna repeatedly thanked Mrs. Granjem when the Director cleared his throat loudly.

- I'm not finished.

Instantly, Julianna regained her composure and apologized to the Director, asking him to continue.

- I think you won't need this anymore. – And he held out a hand towards Julianna.

Not believing in her eyes, the red bracelet began to disappear before her. Stunned, she went to the Director containing the emotion.

- Anything else?

- Yeah. – The Director said quietly. – After the field work, we'll re-evaluate your learning and direct you to some orb consistent with your ability for you to have a new physical experience.

She wasn't too thrilled with the news, but knew that sooner or later it had to happen.

- So soon?

- You are still connected to physical sensations, Julianna; therefore, you need to experience them for real.

With no way to argue at the moment, she didn't question the decision of the Director.

- Okay. – She replied resignedly and looking at her wrist free from the bracelet, she asked with a smile. – Do you have any other recommendations?

- No, Julianna. I've said everything that needed to be said. I hope you understood. – He concluded without judging her anxiety.

Then she could no longer contain her happiness to have gotten rid of that bracelet she considered ugly. For the first time since coming to the Gateway, she felt like she belonged and, forgetting any protocol, she threw herself in the arms of the Director, kissing his face and then his hands continuously and whirling around the room, dancing as if she scored a goal in a championship soccer match.

- I don't want to disrupt this time of celebration, but we still have a subject to attend to. – Myrthila Granjem had her face serious again. The old woman was more wrinkled than normal.

Julianna stopped dancing and stood frozen like a statue, wondering if what Mrs. Granjem had to say could lead the Director to replace the bracelet.