Chapter 6 - The pher

The Pher

- I think she's waking up... – said the Monitor.

- And what should we do? – Asked the boy who was with her.

- Wait... just wait...

Mila Duncan was a Sector Monitor, like Gregory. In general, she was stationed in other sector of Anaya Gateway, but Ariel had requested her support, since Julianna's presence there caused some inconveniences and all help was welcome.

The Monitor was slim, had dark skin and wore her hair up on top of her head. Her black eyes were slightly pulled. She had an especial interest for genetics, splitting her time between work and studies on a Creation Lab. Her physical form was the mathematical expression of beauty, the result of dedication in building a symmetrically perfect model. At the time, she was in a recovery room accompanied by a volunteer, and waited for one of the victims placed into unconsciousness for being confused with the inhabitant of the Level 2 planet to wake up. The volunteer was Earl Witz that despite the preadolescent look of a child who had just entered puberty, carried on his existence more spins of the Gateway that Mila herself.

- See, she opened her eyes! – Earl shouted pointing at the victim lying on the bed.

- Shhh... – Mila knew she was in front of a special being and shouldn't just have respect, but reverence for its magnitude.

- What happened? Where am I? – And the vibration caused by the sound of these words filled the room with bright particles. A slight feeling of well-being involved Mila and Earl.

- Lady, I'm Mila Duncan, one of Anaya Gateway's Area Monitors and this is Earl Witz, a friend who is helping me. We are in a recovery room.

- I don't understand. I have come to request an audience with Master Carama... – and addressing them – ... please, I feel weak; can you help me to sit?

- Of course! – Earl and Mila promptly surrounded her and each gave support in one of the hands so she could get up.

As she sat up, her hair fell over her shoulders in curls down beyond her waist. They were golden with bright red highlights. If Mila thought she had found the perfect form for herself, she was also aware of how far she was to model a being like that. Her knowledge about genetics was limited primarily to human evolution. She had no idea of what the genetic map of a pher would be like, but she was sure that the degree of complexity was beyond her capacity to comprehend.

- I had just arrived at the Gateway and hoped to talk to Master Carama when I felt a tap on my shoulder and everything went black. I just remember feeling my energy dissipate. – The pher spoke slowly, trying to remember exactly what had happened.

- You were placed into unconsciousness, as well as others. Unfortunately, we had an instance of an inhabitant of a Level 2 planet lost here in the Gateway and, in spite of her having already been rescued, there was a certain uproar. Some took advantage of this to try to create a mess in our structure. – Mila expected the pher hadn't given much attention to the explanation provided.

- A Level 2? Are you saying that I was mistaken for a Level 2? – Even though her voice didn't show any trace of arrogance in the question, it was clear that pher had been surprised with what she had just heard.

- No, ma'am. – Mila replied politely. – I'm saying that someone took advantage of the situation to put you into unconsciousness and, with you being a pher, who did it had other interests.

- Yes, now I understand. – She lowered her head and her hair covered her face, joined palms, and concentrated for a moment. She then put them on her knees, palms up. Slowly, a glow emerged around her entire body and from her back came a huge pair of sparkling wings ranging from gold to bronze. Mila and Earl gave a few steps back because the pher's wings occupied nearly the entire width of the room. She lifted her head, shook her wings and climbed out of the bed. Mila and Earl had the impression that she was two times bigger than the fragile image that was lying on the bed unconscious moments ago. – I need to see Master Carama immediately!