Fight

It has been a week since Maha's birthday party and he has again gone back to his silent mode. He doesn't talk to me, He has started coming home late at night and when I wake up he has already left. I tried talking to mom about this and she said it might be work pressure.

No, I know it's not the work pressure, something is disturbing him. That day after meeting his aunt, he became stiff and quiet. All the time he kept quiet and only if someone asked something to him, then only he answered. I tried asking him but he just ignored me like before.

Right now also it's two am. and he has still not come. After waiting for half an hour he finally came.

"Assalamualaikum" I said smiling.

"Walekumasalam" he said and started going up.

"Come fast, I'm heating the food"

"I've already eaten." He said and went up. Now I'm damn angry...what the hell is wrong with him. I went up and he was in the washroom. As soon as he came I asked.

"What is wrong with you?"

"Nothing..I'm tired. Good night" he said and walked up to the bed.

"No, you'll not sleep now. You've to answer me first" I yelled.

"It's nothing" he said. His menacing eyes were a blazing red and the dim light made the rest of his features indistinguishable.
A lie I thought.

"Yeah right" I said.

"Don't test my patience" he said.

"I am your wife and I've the right to know what is going on in your life" I shouted. I can feel the heat of temper rising in him.

"You're not my wife!! I've still not accepted you as my wife" he shouted and I froze.

I wanted to cry as rage filled my belly. I felt my ears getting hot. I glare at him then spat out "THEN WHY DID YOU MARRY ME?"
He sneers at me then laughs only adding fuel to my wrath.

"You think this is funny?" I snap.

He glares at me with hatred in his cruel dull eyes.

"You are an extremely stupid girl. Aren't you?"

Our heated quarrel continues. It was definitely a war of words and who can hurt the other one worse. Both of us at each other throats like savage hungry dogs fighting over dominance.

Our voices rose above the sacred silence. A glance, touch, and one small comment stirred a hurricane of harsh and horsed insults. We were never that strong to being with, and now we'll never be as strong as we once were.

I have hardly ever showed emotion beyond fatigue. He has always showed a polite interest in the lives of his family, of his wife, and otherwise kept himself to himself. But today was different, everything I said was because I wanted to know what is disturbing him but he exploded with words that pulled no punches.

In that frozen second between stand off and fighting I see his eyes flick from me to him. His faces was unreadable, no fear, no invitational smirk. There is no happiness in his face, as I never expected there to be. I started packing my bag, because as it is I was going to my mom's place tomorrow and this wasn't a time to stick around. If I stayed, he'll break me down into a sobbing mess. This way the pain would last longer, but at least the cut wouldn't be so deep.

But I know one thing that tonight there will be tears. After I finished packing, I went and changed into my night clothes then turned my back and pretended to sleep. After sometime the bed dipped and I knew that he was sleeping. The tears flowed down from my eyes as I tried to not to make any sound. But a sob escaped and soon more sobs escaped and I felt him turning to my side as I ran to the washroom and closed the door.

Morning came and I got out of the washroom to pray fajar. He was sitting on the bed as I ignored him and prayed, trying hard not to cry again. After I finished praying, I went down and helped mom.

"All packed?" Mom asked. I nodded.

"Bhabhi...it looks like you haven't slept" she said wiggling her eyebrows and I continued doing my work. After we finished eating I hugged mom and Maha.

"Fawad, why don't you drop her?" Dad said. And he looked at me.

"No dad, I'll go with the driver. He has some work" I said quickly. Dad nodded. After saying salam, I went out and was about to sit in the car when I heard his footstep. I turned back and saw him passing by me without saying anything. I quickly said my salaam to him and sat in the car.