Chapter 10

CHAPTER 10

I shuffle around the dirt and piles of leaves. Where did everything go? Where did everyone go.

I walk down the hill to the crater where I found all the dead bodies. Now there's nothing. Nothing but leaves, grass, and trees. The normal appearance of the meadow. I was certain this is the place where I saw the bodies. Where are they now.

I continue on deeper into the woods. After an hour or two of wandering throughout the meadow, I come across a stream I've never seen before. I follow it. Once I reach the end of the stream, I find a fence. An electric fence, and I could hear it loud and clear that it was alive. Beyond the fence are acres. Acres of the greenest grass. Nothing but grass. Far off into the acres is a large estate. Then a car pulls up in front of it. Someone in a gray suit steps out and enters the estate. Then I hear my name.

"Katniss!" I turn to find Rory.

"Rory? How'd you find me?"

"My mom needs you. Its urgent." He says.

I follow him out of the woods and to Haymitches house. I walk inside to find Hazelle wiping the floor from a brown liquid. "Hazelle?" I ask.

She looks up at me, revealing a black eye. "Katniss."

"Hazelle!" I run to her side and pick her up. I take her to the couch to lie her down. "Rory, get me some ice, please."

Rory hands me a bag of ice and I hold it up to Hazelles eye. She winces at the pain for a second then calms down.

"Hazelle, what happened?" I ask.

"Haymitch, he was drunk beyond belief." She says. "I told him to pace himself and he smashed a bottle of liquor over my head and punched me in the face. Then he ran out of the house. You should go find him." She says.

"No, this isn't new to him. I need to stay here with you. You can't be alone in your condition. Does your head hurt?" I ask as I check her hair for any scars or cuts but all I find are pieces of broken glass.

"I'm fine." She pushes my hands away. "And I'm not alone, I have Rory." She smiles at her son. "Go find Haymitch." Hazelle nudges my shoulder.

"Alright." I say. I walk outside and see trails of broken glass and liquor leading to the mouth of the Victors Village.

I follow the trail to the remains of the Hob. I find Haymitch sitting on an old wooden crate with his head down. I walk up to him and put my hand on his shoulder. "Haymitch..."

"No, Katniss. Please. I don't need a lecture." He mumbles.

"No, you don't. But you do need help. You need to control yourself. Why are you drinking so heavy that your hurting Hazelle?"

"I did what?" He lifts his head and looks at me with disbelief.

"You punched Hazelle, Haymitch. You gave her a black eye. This just proves how much your drinking, you don't remember a thing."

He looks down again shamed. Then I realize the last time he drank this much was when we found out we were going into the arena again for the Quarter Quell.

"Haymitch?" I ask. I lift his head up so he's looking at me. "What's going on?"

He shakes his head from my fingers and looks me in the eyes. "Snow is alive."