Chapter 32

CHAPTER 32

I stare at the now dead body lounging across the floor before me and I felt as though I was going to faint again. Darcy. His beloved granddaughter. She shot him. She shot her own grandpa, but by the look in her eye I can see she didn't have a problem with it.

"Go." she commands. "Go now! Before the peacekeepers come! Go!"

I spring to my feet and dart out the door down the hallway. I turn a corner and come face to face with a peacekeeper. I start to shake and run the opposite direction when the peacekeeper grabs my arm. I try to flee but the peacekeepers grip was so strong and firm. He pulls me out of the hall and into another room then locks the door. He turns and removes his helmet.

"Peeta." I let out a sigh of relief then kiss him fast. "Oh my god." I cry then throw my arms around him and hug him tightly.

"It's okay Katniss." Peeta whispers into my ear. He presses his lips to mine. "Your safe, but we need to go now, okay?w

"Okay." I agree.

We put our helmets back on and re-enter the hallway. We make our way to the back door and meet up with Aneel and Darcy.

"Oh there you guys are." Aneel says.

"Where's Haymitch? Did you find him?" I ask.

"Yes he's already back in Twelve." Gale says.

"Are you okay?" I ask Darcy.

"I'm fine. I've been wanting to do that since he announced the Quarter Quell." she smiles.

We board the truck and drive back to Twelve. I sit next to Peeta gripping his hand tightly as I replay the scene over and over again. Snow finding me, Darcy holding him at gunpoint then shooting him. My thoughts are interrupted when Aneel stops the truck at the train station.

"What are we doing here?" I ask.

"It's not safe for you guys here, so your staying in the Capitol with Paylor until this all cools down." Aneel says.

"What about my mom? Johanna?" I ask.

"They took a train there while we were at Snows. Along with Hazelle and Gales siblings." Aneel says.

We step off the truck and head for the train. "Hey!" I turn and see Haymitch walking our way. "What are you guys leaving me? After all I've done for you?" He walks up and opens his arms. "Come here." he commands. I run into his arms and hug him tightly. "Lets go." he says.

We board the train and I head straight to my room, not in the mood for celebrating. I strip down to my pajamas and climb into bed. I debate whether I should sleep or not. If my dreams will get better or if they get worse. I hear the door open, Peeta. He climbs into bed with me and wraps his arms around me, pulling me in close to him. I rest my head on his arm and drift away. That night, I dream of my daughter as she glides through the field with the wind whispering the tune of the Mockingjay. Peeta and I lay I the grass with my head resting on his chest while he fiddles with my hair like we did on the roof of the training center.

I look up at Peeta and smile. "What?" he asks.

"I wish we could freeze this moment, and live in it forever." I say.

He smiles and says, "Okay."