Chapter Six

Staring at the letters in front of her, Rose let out a loud sigh. She had been reading and then rereading every single one to make sure she didn't miss or mistake anything. John sat beside her looking forward - he had previously been helping her but had become bored with scanning the writing. "Found anything more?"

"Would you stop asking me that, I'll tell you if I find anything." Rose told him in an annoyed tone.

John twiddled his toothpick in his hand, "I don't see how you can do it."

"You only say that because you're used to going out and beating people up."

"What's wrong with that?"

Rose stared at him, "Nothing except for the fact it doesn't always work. Sometimes you need to learn how to fight them rather than just decide to go and beat them up."

"It's worked for me so far."

"You got put in Prison."

"But I'm out now." John smirked to himself.

"Nothing to do with what you did though, only because my father believed you were valuable in destroying people for him." Rose put the letter down. "We're doing things differently to what you are used to because we need to build an empire and actually keep it this time." John and Rose both chuckled at each other.

"We've got business to attend to, the Balton's want us to go with them." Tommy burst into the room, "They're beginning to trust us."

"I'll get my coat." John said as he walked out of the room.

Rose stared at Tommy, "I'll stay here. Be careful with them, pretend you trust them but don't actually trust them."

"Any luck with finding out any more information?" He nodded to the letters and files in front of her.

"Not at the moment, I am sure I'll find something soon." Rose sat back in her chair. "Good luck."

She watched from the window as the men got into their cars and drove off, Polly came into the room and stood beside her, "Do you believe they'll be able to do it?"

"They will succeed." Rose said as she made her way back to the desk, "I believe they will be able to." She carried on reading through the letters.

It was late afternoon, Rose had a large cardigan on and she huddled next to the fire, she had had a break through with the letters - managing to find out more information by reading between the lines. They had made a code, used phrases to signify something when corresponding with the Baltons' - it seemed the two families were very close.

Now, she sat beside the warmth as she thought about nothing, her head was empty and she was tired of business.

Linda ran into the room, her breath short and her eyes wide, "Come quick, it's Katie."

"What's wrong?" Rose ran up the stairs behind the pregnant women and into the nursery where Ada was sat with a pale sweaty Katie. "What's happened to her?"

Ada then told her, "I was checking on the children when I heard her crying, she was tossing and turning in her bed and I think she's wet the bed."

Rose made her way over to the little girl and placed her hand on her forehand, "She has a temperature." She then turned to Linda, "Can you find her clean clothes please?" The blonde woman nodded and made her way to chest of drawers. "Ada strip the bed so it can be washed." Rose then bent down and moved the young girl away from the bed.

Polly ran into the room, "What's happening? What's going on?"

"It's Katie, she's ill." Rose told her. "Go and call the office, one of the Blinders should be there and then they can find John and tell him." Polly quickly ran down the stairs.