Chapter Twenty-Three

"What is it?" John asked as he burst into the drawing room.

Tommy glanced over at his brother, "We've had a letter from the Crawfords'."

"What did they say? Are we in trouble with them? Do they have her body."

Tommy did not answer and instead passed the letter over to him:

'Dear Mr Shelby,

                              We would like to congratulate you on the success of your mission in killing the Baltons'.

Now, you are free to do what you like until we need you next. Do not be alarmed, we shall give you enough time to concentrate on your own business.

In celebration of your success we would like to invite you to our annual ball at the Crawford Manor in London in two weeks time. We would be very honoured if you were to join us.

Thank you for the assistance in the matter of the traitorous Balton family. It was a shame we had to lose Lady Rose Crawford in the process but at least the family is dead.

Kind Regards,

Mr Crawford'

"They don't even care!" John shouted, "She was his daughter!"

"We shall be going to London for the ball and there we shall get revenge for Rose." Tommy informed John, "They forgive us."

"How do you know? What if this is all a ploy to lure us into their den and then kill us."

"John." Tommy warned, "I understand you are a grieving but do not let it consume you."

"At least with Grace she died quickly! I was forced to helplessly watch Rose as she was beaten to death! And now I have nothing to remember her by."

Tommy stared at him, "She's dead John, no amount of anger will bring her back."

"No, it won't but it might help ease the pain." John yelled before storming out of the room.

"Give him time Tom." Arthur said, "Let time make him understand."

"We don't have time on our side."