Chapter Fifty-One

Alone in the kitchen, she watched her children play together in the paddling pool. A small smile remained on her face as they all laughed loudly. They were happy here, happier than they ever had been in the Shelby Manor. 

Hearing someone beside her, she looked away from her children and towards Polly. The woman looked tired, her face had aged greatly since the split of the Peaky Blinders, worry ate away at her. She did not want to lose any of her family, especially not Michael. "Have you heard from him?"

Polly nodded her head slightly, "Yes, he called me to say he was safe and that he was happy that I was safe."

"Was that all he said?"

"He refused to give me any information about where he was or what he was doing. Apparently, it is to keep me safe. I think it has more to do with the fact he wants to seem strong and not have his mother know everything."

Rose chuckled, "It is a mixture of both, he loves you Pol, he doesn't want you to get hurt because of his fight with Tommy."

"Do you know where he is?"

"Yes."

"And you haven't told Tommy?"

"No."

"Will you?"

Shrugging, Rose replied with, "Depends. It may be useful in the future but currently I earn nothing from doing so."

"Mother! Look at me, I can swim!" Elsie squealed as Jack helped her paddle in the water, "I am a big girl now!"

Katie ran over to her, a grin on her face, "It's lovely here mum! I love living here now!"

Rose then knelt down beside the small pool and joined in with the little water fight they were all taking part in. Charlie ran through the water and stopped to give Rose a rather wet hug, "Have you heard from my dad?"

"Yes." Rose told him, "He says he misses you and can't wait to see you soon."

He laughed, "I miss him too!" But before Rose could reply, he ran back over to the boys and continued swimming with them.

"Uncle Tommy didn't say anything, did he?" Katie asked.

"He's very busy, he's be preoccupied by very important business." Rose told her, "You can tell he misses Charlie though."

"Why would he though? He never saw him."

"Because Charlie is his son, his only child." Rose glanced around at all the children, "And when you have a child, you love them unconditionally."

Katie nodded her head before jumping back into the pool and joining her siblings and cousins.

"I have to leave for a little while." Rose informed the children as she jokingly splashed Edward who screamed happily, "But I will be back soon."

The children all stared over at her in sadness, "Why do you have to go?"

"Because no matter how much I wish I could stay here with you my darlings, I cannot, I cannot escape the war. I am going to have to go and fight but then I shall return and we'll have another water fight."

"Come home soon mother!" 

"I promise you I will."