Chapter Forty

Carefully, Rose pinned a curl back so that no hair touched her skin and painted a deep red lipstick onto her plump lips.

Loud laughter was heard downstairs causing Rose's trance to break and and make her way towards them.

"Rose you look beautiful," Tommy called out, "Where are you going?"

"I'm coming with you."

The men all became silent as they turned to stare at John who was glancing at his wife, "No, definitely not. No, never."

Rose said nothing but her eyes moved until they rested upon Tommy, he hesitated slightly, looked over at his brother before slowly shaking his head, "Not this time, next time though."

Sighing, she smiled at them, "Then let me wish you good luck." Stepping down she kissed her husband goodbye and watched the Peaky Blinders leave.

As soon as the men left, her smile was replaced by a glare, "Ada are you ready?"

Ada appeared at the top of the staircase, "Nearly, do you need help with you dress?"

"Yes please." Rose replied as she walked back into her room.

Polly smirked as the two women, in their evening dresses, stood in front of her, "Show them what we're made of."

"We'll make you proud." Rose promised her.

"I have full confidence that you will."

A car pulled up and the three of them watched as the mans head popped out of the window, "Spectacular, you look gorgeous." He called out to them, "Now get a move on, we don't want to miss it all."

Rose grinned to herself as she pulled Ada towards the car, "I'll sit next to him." She whispered, "I wouldn't let you have to sit next to him for so long."

Ada laughed, "Thank you."

"It's been too long." He smirked at her. "So have you missed me?"

"Just drive." Rose demanded, "We need to get there before the fighting begins."

Laughing, he whispered to her so no one else could hear their conversation, "Now how will Mr Shelby react when he sees Mrs Shelby there?"

"Angry, he'll be so angry that silence will consume him." Rose replied, "But he shall move on quickly."

"He loves you." Alfie said while staring in front of him.

"Yes."

"And do you love him?"

"Yes." Rose confidently told him, "I do not like being controlled."

"And he shall learn the hard way." Alfie burst into laughter, coughs interrupting it several times.

Glancing at him, Rose said gently, "You don't sound very well."

"I'm not very well," Alfie smiled, "Haven't been for some years now."

"Are you dying?"