Chapter 4 ~ Robintree

It took Skylar two days to reach Lawrence, Kansas. The article clipping about the haunting in question was from a Karen Squires 487 Robintree.

  As soon as Skylar turned the corner to her street, the EMF meter on her dashboard started beeping like crazy. Turning it down, she looked at the house numbers.

  'I should probably change. She's not gonna belive I'm a government agent dressed like this.' She looks down at her holey jeans, leather jacket and tank top. 'I'll check into a motel and look over the article again.'

  Skylar checks into a hotel changes into her suit and gets back into the pickup truck. She heads back to Robintree and the EMF meter starts dinging like crazy again.

  "Something is really wrong here," she says, thinking aloud.

  She reaches Ms. Squires' house, and gets out. As she walks to the door, she grabs her fake ID. She rings the doorbell.

  "Hello, are you Ms. Squires?" she says with a polite vioce.

  "Yeah, I'm Karen Squires. Can I help you?" the girl in her mid-twenties asks skeptically.

  "I'm agent White with the MIB," 'Really, Sky? Let's hope she isn't a Will Smith fan.' "I'm here about your complaint about the hauntings in this neighborhood."

  "Really? I didn't think that the police took me seriously. They sent a government agent?" she asks amazed.

  "I assure you that we are very concerned for the well being of our country's citizens." 'This chick is really dense.' "Would you mind telling me exactly what happened to make you alert the authorities?"

  Karen nods. "Well, I've lived here since I was little and I got the house when my parents moved, and every year around the same time the house next door... Well..." she trails off.

  "Yes?" she presses calmly.

  "Well, there are screams..." she continues, "and then a light is turned on, it flickers, and then it just stops. It happens every year. I called because it happened again last week." She looks really shaken up.

  "Have you confronted the owners of the house?"

  "That's just it," she explains. "No one's lived there since the 80's. They said that someone died there and the rest of the family just picked up and left. They can't sell it, 'cause no one wants to live there."

  "Okay... well we'll check it out and I'll keep you updated. Thank you for your time." Karen smiles and closes the door as Skylar walks back to her truck.

  'I'll come back tonight, so no one will see me commit B&A. I don't need someone callin' the cops on me,' she thinks, starting the pickup.