Chapter 8 ~ Explanations

"So where ya' from, Skylar?" Sam says.

  "Texas. I lived with my mom."

  "Why'd ya' leave?" Dean asks.

  "It's complicated."

  "Mmhmm..."

  "So, how did you become a hunter so young?" Sam continues.

  "I found this journal in my grandfather's attic. I studied it for years. Finally, when I left home, I ran into some demons... They nearly killed me. That's when Crowley showed up. He saved my life. He said that I needed to be more careful, less reckless... A few days later, I was attacked again. I begged for his help. I wasn't ready to die. I said I would give him anything, anything that he wanted. He asked for my soul. I was desperate and naive. He said I had two months to 'prepare myself.'" She finches at the memory. "I've been huntin' ever since."

  "Seriously? You're like twelve!" Dean exclaims.

  "I'm nineteen," she lies. Skylar is fourteen and a half, but she could easily pass for an eighteen or nineteen year old. "I just look young for my age."

  Dean looks over Skylar again, like he's seeing her differently.

  "What about you guys? What's your story?"

  "You don't want to know," Sam comments.

  "I asked didn't I?"

  "It's complicated," Dean smirks.

  "Mmhmm," she says mockingly, as she inhales from her cigarette.

  They sit in silence for a while, and one at a time retire to their motel rooms.

~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~

  The next morning, Skylar wakes up earlier than usual and decides to go get breakfast before leaving town.

  She grabs her keys and sticks one in the ignition. The engine won't turn on, so she tries again. The engine makes a weird noise, and she realizes what's happening. Suddenly, she jumps out of the truck and runs back into her room, just as the truck explodes.

  "Holy crap!" she screams.

  Dean runs out of his room half naked, a rifle in his hands.

  "What the hell's goin' on out here?!"

  "Someone just tried to kill me and instead blew up my ride!"

  Dean snorts. "Wasn't much of a ride."

  Sam bolts out of his room. "Is everyone okay?! Dean? Okay. Skylar? Okay. Me? Okay. Wait. Dean? Dean. Go put some pants on! Seriously, dude!"

  "Sam. Calm down," Dean say turning around and walks back into his room, shutting the door behind him.

  "My truck..." Skylar complains.

  Sam looks at her sympathetically. "Who would...?"

  "Crowley." Sky's face turned red. "How the hell am I supposed to go anywhere now?"

  "We could drop you off somewhere. Maybe this is a sign. Maybe it's time to go home."

  "I don't have a home."