Chapter 12 ~ Backseat Driver

Dean tells Castiel and Sam what is going on, and everyone (except Kevin) piles into the Impala. An unwilling Sam sits in back with Castiel, Dean driving, and Skylar sits shotgun.

  “Dean, why do I have to sit in back?" Sam complains, shifting uncomfortably.

  "Because she's the only one who knows how to get to where we're goin', and I don't like backseat drivers," Dean says gruffly.

  “So why don't you just let her drive?" Castiel asks.

  Sam looks at Castiel with wide eyes shaking his head and mouthing the word, 'No'. Dean speaks through gritted teeth.

  “Two reasons. One, no one drives my baby but me, and rarely, Sam. Two, the last vehicle Skylar here drove got blown up. I don't want to have to rebuild this car again," he answers as if it was an obvious fact.

  “Woah, woah, woah. Back up there," Skylar interjects. "Are you saying it's my fault that someone tried to kill me?!"

  "I'm just saying, by extent tha--"

  "She has a point Dean," Sam interrupts.

  Dean turns to look at his brother. "Who's side are you on here?"

  "Her's. I think Skylar should drive and you should sit back here with Cas."

  "Oh. Um, I agree with Sam on this one," Cas says.

  "You have got to be kiddin' me." Dean mumbles.

~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~\~

*Four hours later*

  Sam sits in the passenger seat next to Skylar, and Dean and Castiel sit in back.

  "Are we there yet?" Dean asks impatiently.

  "It's a thirteen hour drive, Dean." Skylar answers, rolling her eyes.

  "How long has it been?" he asks.

  "Four," Sam replies. 

  Dean grunts angrily, not liking the fact that Skylar is in the driver's seat of his 'Baby'.

  "You might wanna get some sleep. Unless you wanna stay in a motel, we're gonna have to take turns drivin'. It's gettin' dark out and I'm tired," Skylar suggests. She turns the corner, and Castiel, already sleeping, falls onto Dean's lap.

  “Well Sammy, looks like you're drivin' next," Dean sighs.

  "Can't you just shove him off?" Sam asks.

  "And wake him up? Sam, you remember last time we woke Cas up in the mornin'?"

  Sam's eyes widen. "Okay, I'll drive next."

  “What happened?" Sky says curiously.

  “You don't wanna know," the brothers say simultaneously.