Chapter 14

*Skye's POV*

"Why in the world are you here right now?" I cross my arms angrily over my chest.

"It's Siena's birthday"

"And that means something to you?" I laugh, stepping forward to close the door in his face.

He put his foot in between the door, so I was unable to close it.

"Skyler please" He pleads. "She's my daughter too" His face is soft, showing an extreme case of sadness.

"Alex! Mummy said you weren't coming!" Siena says running and clinging to Alex's legs in a hug.

I look up at him and he seemed in shock at first. The shock was gone in an instant and before I knew it, he was smiling brighter then I've ever seen and hugging her back.

"Did she say that? Well lucky I'm here now. I'm not going anywhere" His eyes focused on me as he lifted her up and placed her up on his side.

"Let's play!" She smiles pointing to her room upstairs.

He steps inside carefully holding her and I close the door behind him.

"Leave me alone" I say to him before going back to the kitchen.

~~~

"What is he even doing here?" Joel scowls gesturing to Alex on the jumping castle with Siena in the backyard.

"I know right!" I exclaim, placing the finishing touches on her birthday cake.

"He shouldn't be here"

"I mean, he is her father"

"Technically, but not emotionally"

"You know she loves you like a dad right?" I sigh wrapping my arms around him in an embrace.

"I know I know. I just don't like him being here"

"Excuse me? Sorry to interrupt but I have a bunch of crazy children who demand cake. Got to give the people what they want" Alex says stepping into the kitchen.

"Yeah it's done" I say grabbing the cake and walking it out to the backyard. "Come on everyone, time to sing!"

I plaster a smile on my face and pull Siena in front of me to stand in front of the cake.

"Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Siena. Happy birthday to you!" I smile giving her a kiss on the cheek.

"Mummy will cut the cake but you know the rules! You have to give a special kiss to the closest boy! No cooties allowed!" I giggle looking to Joel who stood beside me.

She hesitates. Looking up at Joel. Looking up at Alex who is at the other end of the table.

She smiles before skipping over towards Alex. His eyes meet mine unsure and full of unease. Alas, he bends down and let's her kiss his cheek and smiles.

I grab Joel's hand and intertwine it with my own.

"I'm so sorry. I don't know why she did that" I whisper in his ear.

"Don't be sorry, honestly I'm fine"

He wasn't fine. The smile was fake. I could spot that smile anywhere.

"I'll cut up the cake and give everyone a piece but Siena why don't you go over to the other table and start opening up some presents?" I offer trying to break the moment.

"Okay mummy!"

The cake was chocolate. My favourite first of all. Luckily it happened to be Siena's too! I never trusted myself with a knife so Joel took it from me almost instantly. I don't deserve him, I really don't.

I find myself looking over to the present table and spot Siena holding Alex's gift that I recognised from earlier.

She unwrapped it quickly and he couldn't stop smiling. I'd never seen him like this before. She started to squeal and scream excitedly and quickly sprinted over to me.

"Mummy, mummy, mummy! Look what Alex got me!"

I opened my palm and she placed a piece of jewellery in my hand. I lifted the piece to my gaze and found a silver locket. Opening it, I found a photo of me and her on the left and a photo of Alex smiling on the right. How he got the photo I don't know.

Turning over the locket, there was a small engraving on the back. Family.

Joel was looking now and his face evidently displayed pain.

Oh Alex, what have you done this time?