Reoccuring Memories

"Do you know who that is?" Percy questioned when he saw me falter in my step.

"Unfortunately" I replied half heartedly.

I sluggishly made my way over to the glowing god when Percy's eyes widened in recognition.

"Oh gods... why'd it have to be him?" I heard him mumble

"(Y/N)! It's been such a long time! You've grown so much!" He called out to me.

I rolled my eyes.

"Obviously, when's the last time I saw you? Three, no four years ago?" I replied still annoyed. "What made you finally want to show up?"

"I want to help you and your interesting group of friends with your quest" he replied almost too happy with himself.

"What are you getting out of this?" I asked rudely, knowing he would never do anything for free.

He feigned mock hurt and dramatically cast his hand over his chest.

I exchanged glances with Blake, who just shrugged.

"Erm... well I'm going to put on some dry clothes..." Percy coughed excusing himself.

I guess he didn't want to be anywhere around my father. I didn't blame him.
I didn't necessarily want to be around him either.

"Grab some for my dear daughter as well" Apollo called after him. Percy only waved his hand dismissively.

"I thought he couldn't get wet..."  Blake whispered into my ear as I walked to stand beside her.

"He can if he wants too... I don't know." I responded.

"So what do you want?" Connor spoke for the first time.

"Ah... I was just getting to that. As I told you, I wanted to help you repair your ship, as well as see my favorite daughter. You see it has been quite a long time..."

I huffed and placed my hands on my hips.

"Why today of all days?"

"Don't you know what today is my child?" He asked suddenly getting serious.

"Um... Sunday?"

"Well yes... but it's the anniversary of your mothers passing."

My breath hitched in my throat. All of a sudden my knees grew weak, my eyes began to blur, and my mind began to pound. The makings of a panic attack.

"No- no. Wh-why would you even..." I began before falling to the ground; Blake rushed to grab me before I hurt myself.

"I didn't think you'd want to be alone today, but then I remembered you had been chosen for a quest, so I thought I'd come by and see if I could be of assistance... you've been through a lot (Y/N). " Apollo replied still somehow holding a serious tone.

"Why today? You've never come before, you've never cared before." I struggled out.

"Because it's been ten years since that day..."

"You know how hard this is for me! I've already had an emotional day! Why did you have to bring this up now!"

"Don't you remember what happened daughter?"

"Of course I do!"

It was a beautiful day at the beach. Almost overwhelming so, to the point it was to perfect. My six year old self looked out towards the water watching my mother dance in the waves as she laughed and splashed my stepdad.
  My hands and feet were covered in sand and I remembered focusing on the dirt beneath my finger nails when they decided to walk on the pier. I watched from a distance, seeing the soaking wet couple casually strolling to the end. I should have known there would be disaster.
   When the couple reached their destination my stepdad spun my mother around both of them giggling with glee. That was until my mom stepped on a aging spot on the dock. That moment was when everything went wrong. My moms foot  getting stuck, her tripping, falling into the ocean. My stepdad yelled searching for any sign of her before diving in himself. When I heard the shout, my head snapped up honing in on him jumping into the water. I raced down as fast as I could knowing something was wrong.
   When I reached the edge of the dock, all I saw was my stepdad. My mother was nowhere to be found.   
   They told me she had hit her head and drowned. Why didn't my stepdad save her? Why didn't Poseidon save her?