Stepping Into The Reflectaverse by Maybelle

GRAND WINNER

Stepping Into The Reflectaverse 

Water flooded the pavement, its essence dark. It was like a foreign substance flooding the parisian streets, purple moonlight reflecting off the ever-growing black mirror.

Marinette backed away from it. Something was off.

"Halloween's light, a shimmering, purple night. Obsidian waters come in rushes, but the way out will be powerful in its jerking clutches. To the top you will rise, but only when all fear flies. Do not let It in, for when It knocks does curiosity win. Once snagged, It you will be tagged. It becomes you, and you become It. Only when all are lifeless will you awake from the darkness," chanted the four students in unison.

A flame lit each lantern spontaneously, and each widened their eyes.

Without much question nor haste did they offer the beacons a hesitant push, lifting them into the sky to lead lost spirits back to their paths.

But the spirits had other plans in mind.

A gust of wind came crashing from the sky towards their boat, and the flames were whisked from their perches, sending the lanterns back into gravity's pull. Half toppled into the boat and half splashed into the water.

Next to go was the group of friends, as they were shoved by unseen forces into the river with protesting shrieks and shouts. An incalculable weight reeled them in deeper, and a cold grip dragged them into the Reflectaverse.

"Nino, don't touch the water!" the blunette warned frantically.

Her warning was fruitless; the black mass flooded towards him faster than he could step away, and the instant it licked his shoe, electricity climbed into his veins and violated his muscles. They convulsed with uncontrollable jerks, and he flopped, still shaking, into the dark substance. Soon his movement ceased altogether.

"Nino! No!" Alya shrilled. A shivering hand covered her mouth, which was agape with shock. She pivoted to face the two remaining, but turned back immediately as a sickening sound prickled from her boyfriend's body.

His skin bubbled, and slowly he dissolved into the water. Vapor hissed from the spot where he had laid, unmoving.

His friends were appalled.

Consecutively, Nino rose to the surface of the river, next to their boat. But he didn't breath; he didn't move.

Alya squeaked, but she backed away as the liquid continued to close in on them.

Someone had to take charge.

"Follow me," Adrien said before running off.

The two girls did as told, too frightened to decide otherwise.

Busted down were the front gates of his mansion, but they warily rushed into the house and slammed the front door shut, which was left ajar upon their arrival.

Inside it was gloomy, except for a few flickering lights. There was no sound; no sound at all. All except their beating hearts. The silence rung in their ears. They stood there, breathing heavily.

Marinette let her back fall against the door with a thunk, and she slid down to the floor, head in her hands. She sat there for a moment, a consistent ba-bump, ba-bump echoing in her ears.

Sssshhhhhhh.

A small sound crescendoed into existence.

SSSSHHHH.