The Knicks Game

In their four years of being partners, Scully knew five things about Mulder. He thought aliens were real, the government was hiding things from the public, he loved proving her wrong, he had no regard for his own health and put his search for truth before his own life, and finally, he was a die-hard Knicks fan. Though Mulder researched all his cases thoroughly and from all angles, Scully knew that he was liable of stopping whatever he was doing to watch the game on TV. There had been many a night in which she had been over at his hotel room or apartment, ready to talk about a case, when she'd been turned down in favor of watching his favorite team play. 

So, of course, when the New York Knicks had won their way into the Championship Game in July, Scully knew exactly what to get Mulder for his birthday. True, his birthday wasn't for 3 months yet, but she knew that this was one of his dreams. So, because Scully knew Mulder wouldn't buy himself a ticket, she bought a pair for them. Scully reasoned that he'd saved her life yet again a week ago, and now she was paying him back. They weren't cheap tickets either. Near court side in fact. 

"Mulder?" She asked, swiveling around in his chair to look over at him. 

"Yeah Scully?" 

"Can you meet me tonight at my place? Wear your Knick's jersey." Thinking that they were going to watch the first game tonight on her television, Mulder agreed eagerly. He was in for the surprise of his life. 

Later that day, Scully rushed through her apartment, trying to find the appropriate clothing to wear for the game. She finally settled on one of her button up blouses and a skirt. Nothing too different from her everyday look that she felt comfortable enough in it, but also casual enough for the game. 

The knock came from outside her door just as she finished buttoning her white shirt. "Coming Mulder!" She opened the door, revealing her tall, lanky partner in his orange jersey over a white t-shirt and jeans. 

"Hey Scully," He said, starting to come in. Seeing her, he stopped. "Where are we going?" 

"What are you talking about Mulder?" Scully asked shooting a sly smile at her partner. "We're going to watch the Knicks game of course." She walked away, down the street and to her car. Mulder stood staring after her for a few moments, in shock. 

"What!? Scully stop joking around!" Mulder caught up to her, grabbing her shoulder to face her around.

"I'm not joking Mulder," She grinned as his eyes found the tickets she held in her hand. "We're going. This is your birthday gift." Aghast, Mulder looked down at his partner. He'd rarely seen her so happy, as she looked now. His heart pounding loudly in his ears, he glanced at the printed tickets displayed in her fist. Then back down to her shining, pretty face. A wide grin broke out and he leaned down, hugging his partner to his chest and whirling around. 

"Mulder!" She squealed into his jersey as her feet left the ground. His chest rumbled with laughter as he put her down. 

"My birthday's not even for three months!!" 

"I know Mulder!" She returned his smile, and started jogging to her car, where he got in and drove, heading toward the Hornets Stadium in North Carolina, where the Knicks would be playing later that night. The hour drive went fast, with Mulder filling Scully in on the facts concerning the two teams. To his estimation, this would be quite an interesting game. The Knicks had the better record but the Hornets had two star players. 

Once in the huge Spectrum Center, Scully led Mulder down to their seats, only ten rows above courtside. "Scully!" Mulder exclaimed. "How did you get such good seats?! These cost at least 5,000 each!!"