Chapter 22

Authors note: Love it hate it? Here's the next chapter. Read and enjoy. <3

Reunited yet never as one

Thranduil stood on the great terrace at the top tier of the city. The wedding was beautiful. Elessar and Arwen were happy. He did not feel this but he put on a good show for all to see.

As the the brides brothers were giving a speech gasps were heard from the crowd. He looked up to see Loriel and Kariel and her entourage carrying Gandalf toward the tier. So she had come.

His fake smile became a real smile. Until he remembered what were between them. A thousand years of pain could never be undone. His smile faded. His eyes glazed over with guilt.

She wore a beautiful dark blue gown with silver sleeves and trim. Her hair was black and half held back in intricate small braids. Her green eyes were dull and lifeless.

"Lady Loriel you once told me you would dance at my wedding." Aragon said reaching her with his bride.

"And I intend to my friend. I have even brought Gandalf." she said bowing to him.

"I hear your travels to Mirkwood were fruitful. King Thranduil only has good things to say." he said fishing for answers.

"He does does he? The same can't be said for him." she motioned behind her and two gifts were brought forth.

"A gift for each of the wedded pair." she said.

"It is appreciated and you are most welcome here." Aragon said.

"Lady Loriel it would be a pleasure to have you sit with me. It was unexpected that you left Mirkwood so quickly. I have missed your company in the months since." Legolas said. She nodded smiling slightly.

Thranduil noted the glare she directed at him. She sat between him and his son. She made no conversation with him and only spoke to Legolas.

**************★**************

She was glad to see Aragon so happy. Arwen and he were good mates. Their love was strong for each other. She was glad to see Legolas and Gimli once more. Thranduil she had hoped would not be here.

To be a king who enjoyed isolation he was getting out and about nowadays. She put an instant stop to her thoughts.

The feast and dancing that followed were merry but she didn't feel it. She felt as she had for months; dead inside. She sat drinking her wine while speaking with Eowyen.

She was glad to see her engaged to Faramire. When hand on her shoulder had her turning. She saw that it was Gimli.

"Dance with me lass afore I'm too drunk to be of any use." he said.

She took the dwarfs hand and  she danced wig him. Next was Legolas. And Gandalf. She had forgotten the last time she had danced. It was the day he had been presented as a suitor. When he had danced with Lìril and had chosen her. He had danced with her as well. He never even looked at her afterwards.

She pulled from Gandalf and went to leave the hall only to have a strong arm catch her waist and twirl her about.

She came face to face with the bane of her life. Thranduil. He twirled her in a dance. She wished to jerk herself from him. She would not cause a scene though.

They danced in silence for a while. He looked annoyed at her lack of comment when he would ay something menial.

"When was the last time we danced lady Loriel? I believe it was when I was seeking a bride." He said lowly.

Rage consumed her at his jab to her bleeding and hurt heart. She jerked herself from him and her hand slapped his face causing everyone to still in the room.

"You are a complete ass! Stay away from me! Don't look at me! Don't speak to me! Leave me alone! Or are you heartbroken not to have me pinning for you anymore." she took a breath "Stay away from me." her voice broke.

*************★***************

She left storming from the room with more vigor and life than she had shown in months. Thranduil left shortly afterwards. His face emotionless and cold.

Gandalf looked to Kariel and motioned her over to him. He whispered in his ear his plan to reunite the lost lovers that were worlds apart.