Part 1

Character Intro

My name is Sierra. I'm fifteen years old and a freshman in high school (A little bit old for my grade, I know). I live in Phoenix, Arizona. I go to a small private school. I have lived here all of my life, gone to private school all of my life, gotten straight A's since forever, and have always kind of been a "goody two shoes". At school I am one of the smarter kids, but that never really meant much. I'm not popular, but I couldn't say that I'm not liked. I have two sisters, Jessi (20) and Brittany (18) who are on the same track as me. I have always gotten along with them. I guess you could say that my life is pretty average for now...

AVERAGE

My eyes fluttered open but immediately shut after being blinded by the light streaming through my window. I slowly opened them again giving them time to get used to the light. I rolled over and looked at my alarm clock.

"6:00 in the morning," I said to nobody in particular, "Ugh, I hate Mondays-" but was cut off by my someone knocking on the door.

"Come in," I said, and my mom peaked her head into my room.

"Good morning, sweetheart!" she said in a more cheerful voice than usual. "I need you to get ready quick, your father and I have some news for you," she smiled brightly, and walked out.

I groaned and sat up in bed; but soon stood up quickly realizing I needed to get ready fast. I only had an hour until I left for school.

I went into my bathroom and looked in the mirror. I was a mess! I quickly grabbed my straightener and started straightening my long, light brown hair. That only took about 15 minutes and when I was done I applied light make-up.

I put on mascara and a thin layer of foundation to cover my blemishes. I headed to my closet and put on my uniform (since I go to a private school).

I didn't mind uniforms, but I hated them when it started getting cold out because I could only wear a skirt that went to about my knees. And it is November 12, which means it's almost winter time.

When I had finished getting dressed, I slung my backpack over my shoulders and walked into the kitchen wondering what my parents were so excited to tell me...

I walked into the kitchen and poured some cereal and milk into a bowl. I sat down next to my sister Brittany who was also eating cereal. We sat in silence for a while until I broke it.

"Do you have any idea what mom and dad want to tell us?" I questioned, hoping she would be able to give some insight on the subject.

"No clue," she stated bluntly. "But whatever it is, mom seemed a little too excited about it..." she trailed off when she heard footsteps coming nearer. We both looked in the direction of the door and waited.

"Hi guys!" my sister Jessi greeted as she walked in, also pouring herself some cereal.

I was about to ask her the same question I asked Brittany but stopped myself when my mom and dad walked in. My parents both looked excited, but my dad also had a slight look of guilt or some other emotion I couldn't quite make out.

"Jessi, sit down. We have something we need to talk to you girls about," my mother stated.

We sat and waited intently for her to continue. But my dad piped up saying, "Well, you all know how work has been slow lately around here," he paused waiting for that to sink in.

He continued, "I have been waiting for months for things to speed up, and nothing has, until a few days ago. Last Thursday, I got a call from a company and they gave me an amazing job offer!" We all smiled and congratulated him.

"Hold on, hold on! I'm not finished yet," he waited for us to quiet down. "There is only one down side to it though," we listened intently. "We have to move to North Carolina."