Chapter 16: On the Road Again

Preview of Season 5 Part 3

Episode 9

After what happened with Beth, Rick told us that Noah knew a place with walls and protection. It was a long way off, but we had to try. We made it out of state to South Carolina, but we were heading for Virginia. We were five miles until we were there. I was asleep, but I felt fingers slowly stroke my cheek. I snuggled close to Carl. He woke me up with a kiss which I quickly joined in.

"Hey," he whispered when we parted.

"Hey," I returned, then added, "Where are the others?"

"Dad went with Noah, Tyreese, Michonne, and Glenn to see that place he talked about. They'll let us know in a little while," Carl explained.

"Okay. And I'm not complaining, but why'd you wake me up?" I asked.

"First off, you needed to know that. And secondly, I wanted to see your beautiful eyes," he answered.

I blushed then responded, "Well, your eyes are too. Ever since I first saw them, I couldn't help but get lost in them."

He smiled which I returned. We leaned in and kissed. I cupped his face while he held my waist. We heard a knock on our window and we looked to see Daryl smirking.

"Get a room you two!" he shouted.

I stuck my tongue out at him, which made Carl and him laugh. I turned back to Carl and we kept kissing for a little while longer. I fell asleep in his arms again and waited for the others to get back. When they did, Carl woke me up by lightly shaking me. Carol was taking us and Sasha somewhere. When we heard what happened, that Tyreese died, I cried like when Beth died. Carl held me as I sobbed into his chest during the funeral. Then I saw Sasha after it. I hugged her and she hugged back. Why do these things happen?

Episode 10

Both Maggie and Sasha weren't doing so good since they lost their siblings. They went out with Daryl for a while we sat on the road. No one found any food and we had 60 miles left until we would arrive at Washington. When we got back on the road, it didn't take long for us to run out of gas. We were on foot. I held Carl's hand as we walked. He gave Maggie a music box that might not have worked, but it was the thought that counted. I hugged her then I went back to holding Carl's hand. As we walked, I could see Sasha wanting to take on the small horde behind us. Daryl and Carol went out to hunt for a while. We rested on the road while Rick, Glenn, Michonne, and Abraham were letting walkers fall into the ravine until Sasha started killing them. They did too. When we started walking again, we found some cars up ahead. We went through them then sat on the side of the road while Daryl went out to hunt. I was given Judith so I hummed to her. Daryl came back, but we were all starving. Then dogs came up to us and before they could do anything, Sasha killed them. We built a fire and ate them. Even though I wouldn't eat dog meat, this time was an exception. I ate it and fed formula to Judith. Once we were done, we went back to walking and I was still holding her.

"You good?" Carl asked.

"Yeah," I assured.

"You want me to hold her?" he offered.

"Sure," I answered and gave her to Carl.

Since Tyreese died, Carl and I have been doing small talk. We would have some romantic moments, but right now, it's just hard. We came across bottles and jugs of water, untouched in the road. We couldn't drink it just in case someone put something in it. Then it started raining and we collected as much rain as we could. Carl put his hat on Judith to keep her dry. Daryl found an abandoned barn for us to take shelter in. They went in and cleared it quickly. We all made it inside and settled in.