Light Up

“Light up, light up

As if you have a choice

Even if you cannot hear my voice

I'll be right beside you, dear”

Gary Lightbody, Jonathan Quinn, Mark McClelland, Nathan Connolly, and Ethan Archer (from the song Run by Snow Patrol)

“For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”  The Apostle Paul, Romans 8:38-38 (New International Version)

Fissure:  “a long, narrow opening or line of breakage made by cracking or splitting, esp. in rock or earth”  New Oxford American Dictionary

One evening as I was falling asleep in front of the TV, I happened to hear the song Run, by Snow Patrol.  Immediately I knew it was saying something more to me than what the writers intended.  It’s a song between two loves, and if you’ve ever been away from someone you love for long enough, you know exactly how it feels to want to tell them that you love them when there is no way to communicate.  So you say it out loud, “I love you.”  You say it in your head, “I love you.”  You say it earnestly, “I love you.”  Hoping they will somehow feel the love you have for them and know what you’re trying to communicate.  That you’re “right beside them.”  And often those messages are felt.  A little note on lunch napkin, a picture given as a keepsake, a ring on a finger; they all have a way of communicating love when contact is not possible.  In the same way, Christ loves us and is right beside us.  He doesn’t speak to us through His voice, but we can feel it through His Word, we can feel it when we bow down to pray, and we can feel it when we worship with fellow believers.  Like the song says, “Light up, light up, as if you have a choice,” when we feel the love of God there is a power that lights us up.  It may be as if we have a choice, but it isn’t.  Like water breaks apart a rock when frozen in it its fissures, the love of our Savior can crush the hardest of hearts by simply seeping in.  Maybe that is why when Jesus was speaking of Himself as being the stone the builders rejected in Matthew 21:42-44 He said, “And he who falls on this stone will be broken to pieces; but whomever it falls, it will scatter him like dust.”  No, there is no choice but to light up for the one who said, “Let there be light.” 

Daily Journaling Questions:

1.  How did I help someone in kindness today?

2.  What did I learn today?

3.  What am I thankful for?

4.  Who did I love today?

5.  What am I dreaming of?

6.  What about today do I want to remember forever?

7.  What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thank you for reading.  You mean a lot to me.

Jake