Heavenly Diaspora

“I have seen what a laugh can do. It can transform almost unbearable tears into something bearable, even hopeful.” Bob Hope

In My Father’s house are many mansions;if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. John 14:2-3

Diaspora: “the dispersion of any people from their original homeland” New Oxford American Dictionary

They called him “the peach man,” they called him “the wood man,” I call him uncle Jerry and he will always be known as a kind man. I remember when my uncle Jerry passed away at the age of 71. He was not the oldest man, but his years were a great service to anyone who had the chance to know him or come in contact with his infectious personality. Whether he was selling you peaches, firewood, or just talking, he had an impact. A car accident when he was young left him unable to work for most of his life due to epilepsy, and as a result, his favorite phrase he would leave you with was always “don't work too hard, I ain't gonna do nothin.” Of course when he could work, my uncle Jerry was known for his integrity on the job, and he encouraged a strong work ethic. But he knew something about life that many overlook. While hard work is essential, it is not the meaning of life. It is also important to have fun, laugh, and love. I will miss my uncle Jerry and the joy he brought to my life whenever I was around him. But I know he is in the hands of our Heavenly Father and I can't wait to be in heaven with him, where we won't work too hard and at times, probably won't do anything. I know we all have someone we look forward to seeing again and probably many, but it's comforting to know that we are all part of the diaspora from our maker and will in time be rejoined in our homeland free to have fun, laugh, and love more than at any time we'll ever know on earth.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone today?

What act of kindness did I perform today?

What did I learn today?

Who did I love today?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading.

Jake