Building Courage

“Only the fearful can be courageous.” R.C. Sproule

When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me? Psalm 56:3-4

Loath: “reluctant; unwilling” New Oxford American Dictionary

So much of what we do as humans is influenced by fear. People like myself miss out on the rush of adrenaline induced by jumping off a bridge by choosing not to go bungee jumping. It's because I'm scared to do it. Some people take a little longer to travel places because they're scared to fly. And most of us fall far short of our potential success because we're afraid to take risks as entrepreneurs, philanthropists, and investors. Most of us have jobs or careers in which we do things everyday that we didn't know how to do before; and it was probably scary taking on new responsibilities that we weren't sure we could handle. But it was expected of us, so we did it. What if we expected greatness of ourselves? What if we expected to follow through on the ideas we know could be successful? We all have an idea or two we think could make a difference, but are probably a little frightened to enact them for whatever reason. It's natural to be scared, but courage is what makes the difference. Let's try to trust in God and be courageous in the knowledge that He loves us and promises to be with us. I think we'll find if we try to build our courage, the more it's exercised, the less it's needed.

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone today?

What act of kindness did I perform today?

What did I learn today?

Who did I love today?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading.

Jake