The Value of Truth

“Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening.” Oliver Wendell Holmes

He has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in His sight, without blemish and free from accusation. Colossians 1:22

Equivocate: “To be deliberately ambiguous or unclear in order to mislead or to avoid committing oneself to anything definite.” Dictionary.com

No matter how good you are at your job, how kind you are to other people, or how honest you are on a regular basis, one lie can ruin your reputation. It's easy to be tempted into a lie, we may not even be trying to gain an advantage for ourselves, we may just be trying to defend our reputation. But as the saying goes, “one lie leads to another.” Sure, a person could tell thousands of lies before they're caught, but once they are, the rest become easier to detect and a life built around lies can begin to crumble. Let's try to be truthful at all times, whether it's a small matter or large. If we can't be trusted with small truths what's to make someone believe we can be trusted with large. No one ever said, “Since I can't trust this person with a little task I'm gonna see if I can trust them with a large responsibility.” No, we have to prove ourselves in the small things before we can be given the opportunity to prove ourselves with consequential things. However, in the end, we all know we're gonna make mistakes and our peers will judge us accordingly. Luckily our salvation does not rest on our perfection. God sent His Son to cleanse us of all imperfections, so that one day we can be with Him in heaven. It's good to know that while our life is being constantly scrutinized by fellow people we can say like Abraham Lincoln, “this too shall pass.”

Daily Journaling Questions:

How did I help someone today?

What act of kindness did I perform today?

What did I learn today?

Who did I love today?

What about today do I want to remember forever?

What are my goals for tomorrow?

Thanks for reading.

Jake