- CHAPTER FIFTY -

Beneath the old growth maple canopy of red and gold, the trails of an overgrown series of ravine parks wound throughout the city. The extensive park system's colours stood in vibrant contrast to the city's grey buildings and glass towers. Deep in one ravine, a young woman jogged a path with long purposeful strides. Her strong legs and swift feet pounded along the paths, through the forests and parks winding through the city that was her home. This place gave her a deep sense of clarity and calm. Whenever the stress of work began to press down too hard she came here to run. She would run, listen, and wait for the precise moment when her mind quieted.

Her belt held only a water bottle, and it sloshed along with her stride as the fanny pack slapped up and down. Trish followed the bright forest path, crossing a bridge over a small brook and up a long hill that lead towards the streets and houses of her neighbourhood. As she climbed the hill, a number of dogs and their owners played in the surrounding park. Trish failed to notice the man watching her from the side of the road.

When Trish ran past, Simon was enamoured by her beauty, strength and her toned body. It had been her body that had caught his attention. The way it moved underneath the snug running shorts and tight shirt. The red glow on her face from exertion and the calm hunger of her eyes fed him. It was the body, not the soul Simon heard crying out. He wanted to hold it close and tight, so very, very, tight. He had to speak with her, Now. He followed her strong steps up the hill and onto the neighbourhood streets. A tennis ball flew past, chased by an eager golden Labrador. Simon smiled at the thoughts crossing his temptation addled mind.

Breathing heavy from her final sprint up the hill, Trish felt great. Her time was strong and her mind was peaceful. Simon closed the distance between them with long purposeful steps of his own. Simon focused on Trish's well sculpted bottom bouncing back and forth with the rhythm of her walk. The rush of emotions he felt radiating from her mystified him. Her light was warm, bright and pure. Her mind was still, focused on beauty. Her emotions were beautiful to watch.

In the front yard of one house, the flowerbed was a riot of colours, delicate blooms and petals. Simon grinned with approval as she bent over the proud tangle of a rose bush. When Trish inhaled deeply from the flower Simon focused his thoughts into her experience. Closing his eyes he inhaled simultaneously, tasting the sweet bouquet of her sensations. Leeching them from her, he stole a shred of the energy created by the beauty. Vampyric, he could barely contain himself as Trish again smelt a large, healthy rose on the edge of the stalk. Simon smiled, wanting to reach out and touch her as he walked past.

He wore shorts, a long sleeved shirt with the sleeves rolled up and a baseball cap. In one hand he held a blue plastic tennis ball chucker. At his side the golden Labrador panted, its fat pink tongue rolling about his mouth. Simon appeared to be another dog walker from the neighbourhood.

Trish finished smelling the rose and returned to the sidewalk. She started jogging again. Simon looked to the traffic lights at the intersection ahead. The lights were still green, but with an 'I Dream of Jeanie' blink they flipped from green to yellow to red. Trish slowed down to stop. Taking the bottle of water from her fanny pack she enjoyed a long drink. As Simon and the dog stopped beside of her, she finished the last of her water. Simon could almost taste it trickling down her warm throat.

When the dog nuzzled up against her leg, she gave the dog a quick rub behind the ears. Looking up, she noticed Simon smiling at her.

"I noticed you stopped to smell the roses," a beaming Simon said.

"I guess I did."

"Good for you. That's a rare quality these days."

Taken aback, but definitely flattered, Trish's face despite being reddened from exertion, coloured faintly. "Thank you, that's nice of you to say."