- CHAPTER EIGHT -

Snow had frosted the trees of the barren branches on the old growth trees of the neighbourhood. Outside one house, a GMC Jimmy pulled to the curb to park out front of a red brick house whose front walk had recently been shovelled. Reverberating through the doors, the music playing was lost on the night's wind. In the tree above the house a pair of sparrows landed in the branches.

Inside the truck, Michael yawned. Stretching, he shut the ignition off and with it the music. A handsome man, his face looked drawn as though in a deep funk. Dressed in winter coat, scarf and gloves, he opened the door and stepped out of the truck. His boots crunched on the packed snow and ice.

The drive into the city wasn't a long trip, but it always left him wiped out. Right now, all he wanted was a good shower and the feeling of his girlfriend Billie's arms wrapped around him. She wouldn't be home for hours yet. As usual, he told himself. He would just have to wait for the things he wanted.

Closing the door with a slam, he stretched again before walking to the rear of the truck. He shivered despite the layers he wore. The air was crisp and hazy with the cold. Opening the trunk, he looked at the pile of presents in bright coloured paper bags. His backpack also waited to be hefted into the house. He didn't want to make two trips. What would be the point?

Loading up his arms, he juggled all the bags and his keys. With an awkward slam, he shut trunk with his elbow. Happy to be home, he walked to the door.

The house was lit up along its eaves with chain after chain of white Christmas lights. He saw a few birds hopping about on the eaves. The top two floors of the house had their lights on and he saw shadows moving about upstairs. Except for one window, the ground floor was dark. A single light shone on an expectant dog, looking outside and wagging its tail.

When he saw the dog, Michael's face changed. A broad smile warmed it. He attempted waving and in doing so, nearly dropped his teetering pile of gifts. Despite the half wave, the dog saw him and bolted from the window.

At the side of the house, Michael opened the door and walked inside. He climbed a few short steps into the main stairwell of the house. He managed to unlock the door to his apartment even while carrying his load. On the other side of the door, the waiting Labrador bounced around with excitement at his owner's return.

Michael pushed the door open with his elbows and walked past the dog and its wagging tail.

"Tucker, get outta the way... C'mon... Yes, hello, it's nice to see you too. Hello. Hello."

Thankfully dropping his bag, Michael spilled the presents onto the well-worn living room couch. Deliriously happy, Tucker jumped at him. Michael smiled. Tucker always had that effect on him. Michael didn't know if it was the unconditional love the dog showed whenever he walked through the door; or, if he just really liked having a dog around. Kneeling, he scratched Tucker behind his floppy ears and received kisses on the chin in return.

Getting up from the dog, he walked to the table by the door. Pressing the playback button on his answering machine, he then took off his coat. Hanging it by the door on an already full set of coat pegs, the messages began to play back. Grabbing his bag from the couch, he walked through the den to the bedroom with dog in tow.

-beep-

"Hey man, I'm working 'til eleven but I'm out in the sticks tonight. Maybe I'll give you guys a call late, if that's all right. Ciao."