Chapter 9

A few days later, Luke and I are in the front of our music class. The girls who wanted to be Luke's partner are currently glaring at me, like I had stolen something from them. I mean, being Luke's partner shouldn't have been that big of a deal. To some people it seems like it is the end of their life if they don't get what they want. I am seated at the small piano, Luke is sitting on a stool next to the piano. We agreed that he would do the talking, and then we'd start the song.

"What song are you two performing for us today?" Our teacher, Mrs. Kingston, asks us.

Luke answers, "It is an original song called Tomorrow Never Dies."

Luke looks at me, and gives me a slight nod. This is our queue to start, he starts the song. We slowly start to ease into the chords, just like we practiced. The song sounds very well as I wait for my queue to start the first verse. I sing it loudly, watching the people in the room open their mouths in shock. Luke nods to me, and we switch our chords. It sounded natural; the piano chords and the guitar's hollowed, low sound hums throughout the room. I notice that Luke takes a small breath, preparing himself for his part. His voice lightly cracks with emotion as he sings out, and I smile at him, trying to let him know that it is okay. We slide back into the chords for the next verse, and I smile a bit as I wait for my part to come. I glance over to Luke as I sing, letting my emotions, the story of the lyrics take over. The chords slide back into the chorus, and Luke lets out a small smile to me, before looking at the space in front of us again. I remember that we are in fact, in class, so I look up at the teacher. She is sitting in a desk, watching us with the rest of the class. The girls who were glaring at me earlier, they are now looking softly at look with doe-like eyes. The chords change again, and I start to sing the next verse. Preparing myself to backup Luke on the bridge of the song.

Luke gives me a side glance, and I give him a slight nod. Knowing that he is mentally trying to make sure I remember to back him up. We do as we practiced, our words blending together as we let the song speak for itself. The song slows down, and Luke starts to sing the next part.

"Tomorrow never dies." He sings, and he lets out a huge smile, as he slowly lets the guitar fade away. Only the piano can be heard as we end the song, together.

"Oh, tomorrow never dies."

I let the piano fade also, and we both stand. The entire class, including Mrs. Kingston, stands. Their claps fill the room, and Luke motions for us to bow; we bow, and then Mrs. Kingston walks up to us.

"Ms. Olson, Mr. Hemmings, that was a great performance, one of the best I have ever heard."

Luke smiles, "Thank you Mrs. Kingston."

Mrs. Kingston looks at me with a wide smile, "Ms. Olson, who knew you had such a beautiful voice, you have never sung out in class before."

I nod slightly, "I typically don't like to be very outgoing." I mumble, and she lets out a chuckle.

Luke and I head back to our seats, and the next group starts to set up for their song at the front of the room. Judging by how the day has been so far, it will be a good day. Very long though, maybe Calum and I could hang out afterwards? I look to Luke, about to tap him on the shoulder to ask him about if he knew if Calum had plans for the night, but Luke wasn't there. I look around the room, and I don't see him. The next group in the front of the class starts to perform their song, and I look down to my notebook. There is a little scrap of paper, folded neatly. The small, lined paper note sits neatly on my notebook. The edges were folded carefully, with skill. I grab it, looking around the room. How long has it been there? Where is Luke? I slowly open the note, making sure that no one was watching as I opened it; luckily, everyone was too busy watching the two guys in the front of the class playing the piano together singing about drugs or alcohol, or whatever they were singing about. I didn't really pay attention to the lyrics because Luke is missing, and this random note has appeared on my desk. The writing in the note was small, written neatly.