Chapter 19

When I awake, the cell is dark as usual, but my fear has gone. The hunger that I felt before has left with it, and I could no longer feel the presence of the demon. The silver tray holds another piece of bread, and more water, so someone was in the cell while I was asleep. Nothing felt off, but one cannot be to wary. No sound could be heard outside of the cell, unusual from the talking from the wolves that kept guard outside of my cell. After talking to Luke, I felt protected and safer, although I am locked away in a cell in a place that I do not even know.

The silence grew, but I found it comforting, and it brought me peace in this dark place. The chains rattle against each other as I sat up from the dirty cot; I let my thoughts consume me as I plan my escape and daydream about being rescued. Surely, Luke will figure this all out, and I trust that he will. I trust him.

I lay my head against the cool stone, and my eyes flutter shut.

The lights shine bright as the cool breeze flutters through the cherry blossoms. The air is warm and crisp as I remember, and the ground is still as cold as it was when I was last here.

Luke said that this place is my mind.

I like it here; I feel safe and secure from everything outside of here.

Nothing could be heard, not even the waterfall. The journey to the waterfall is no longer needed, this place is now just for my peace and escape. In the distance, I see a mountain. The mountain stands tall, and the snow shimmers on the caps of the mountain, but this was not here yesterday. Is this my next journey in this place?

The trees glitter and flutter with the wind, and the rustling of the grass and blossoms soothes my nerves. A new path appears next to the one that leads to the lake, and I trust my mind, my senses, and this place. Starting along the path of pebbles, I make my way closer to the mountain. As I am walking, a thought occurs to me, why am I walking?

If I am an angel, I should have wings, right?

This place, it is my mind. I should be able to conjure whatever I wish, but yet, I have not done so here. This place is more than just my imagination. A flash of light blinds my vision, and I fall to the ground. My knees pressing against the pebbles along with the palms of my hands as I wait for my vision to come back to me. The scene starts to clear, and the light starts to dim. The pebbles are grey and brown. I look up, and laying on the path, I see another note. Folded gently, it lays on the pebble path, yearning for me. Standing, I run to the note, and quickly scoop it up; I open it, and it reads,

"Every angel must earn their wings, find yours in the mountains."

I ponder at what could be in the mountains, what earning my wings mean. I continue down the path, yet no matter how long I have been here, the sun does not retreat to the edge of the lands, leaving me in darkness. The sun continues to shine brightly, spreading it's warmth along this place.

Once I reach the base of the mountain, I notice steps carefully placed along the mountain. Climbing the stairs, I feel the air around me shift, no longer crisp and warm. The air now is cool and damp as I climb higher. The mood of the lands shift too, the once peaceful lands start to feel tense. You could almost cut the air with a knife, but I don't think that would even harm the stress I feel. Higher, there is a small landing, with a fence wrapping around the edges of the clearing. A large oak tree, winding around itself, stands proudly and alone. Nothing seems to appear or happen, but there is no more stairs to climb, and the air is as tense as I could possibly imagine. I step to the edge, leaning on the fence. The view is amazing, full of clouds and blossom trees for miles. A loud crack sounds from the tree, and I turn around to see Calum. I gasp at the sight, a noose tied tightly around his head, and he swings from the tree's limbs. Without a thought, I run over to him, and I struggle to climb the tree. As quickly as I can manage, I reach the limb which he hangs from, and I cut it down with the sharp blade that lays on the limb. It was like this place knew what I would need.