Surprise

I gasped. Seth walked into the building, his eyes locking with mine. His face was unreadable. Did he see everything? He silently walked over to me, stopping a few feet away. Was he going to kill me? Was I going to have to kill him?

            “How much of that did you see?” I questioned.

            “Enough of it.” He replied coldly, his eyes still never leaving mine.

            I wasn’t sure what to say to him. I took a step backwards, away from him. He watched my every move, making sure not to look away. My heart was racing and my mouth was dry. The room remained quiet until he finally broke the silence.

            “So you’re a hunter?” He asked, his face still unreadable.

            I nodded. It’s not like I could lie to him, he saw me kill him. He already knew the answer to his question. Was I going to have to kill him, after he had saved my life? My body was tensed because of the way he was acting. He didn’t act like he wanted to kill me but then again; he knew I was a hunter. He knew I would kill him if I had too. We were both killers.

            “Why didn’t you kill me when we first met?” He asked softly.

            The calmness in his voice frightened me. Why was he so calm? Could I trust him? He took another step towards me. I didn’t move this time. I wasn’t sure if it was because of fear or because part of me wanted to believe he wouldn’t kill me.

            “You saved my life.” I whispered.

            “That doesn’t change the fact of what I am.” He took another step closer.

            He did have a point though; it didn’t change the fact of what he was. He was a demon for crying out loud. He had to be bad, all demons were bad. I had never met a good demon before.

            A good demon just didn’t even sound right. I wasn’t scared of him like I was other demons. I felt as if he really wasn’t a killer. Would he kill a person who was killing his own race though? That was the million dollar question.

            “You didn’t know I was a hunter then, so I didn’t feel the need to kill you.” I replied softly.

            He stepped closer again, this time, so that he was inches from my face. I could hear his steady breathing as he was about to talk. His breath had no scent, which was weird. With every breath he took, it made my heart beat faster and faster.

            “Are you going to kill me now?” He whispered, causing goose bumps to appear on my skin.

            “Not unless you make me.” I choked.

            He stepped back, giving me space between him and I as he said, “Fair enough.”

            “You’re not going to kill me?” I asked.

            He shook his head as he said, “If you don’t kill me, I won’t kill you.”

There was an awkward silence as we both stood in the building. How was this going to work out? This wasn’t normal. I broke the silence by saying, “Why are you different from the others?”

            “I don’t want to hurt humans.” He replied softly.

            “How can I trust you? How do I not know that you are just not playing me?” I asked. This was so confusing but a part of me believed him. Yet again, this could be a whole scheme to kill me.