Lies

Silence filled the air, no one dared to talk until Kendra was gone. I let out a huge sigh of relief. That was intense but what I worried about is whether my lie about Seth actually worked or not. Also, were we supposed to believe Kendra when she said she would leave us alone?

No one seemed to notice that I had changed clothes or that my hair was down instead of up. I swore Cole would have noticed earlier, but maybe he had and didn’t have enough time to talk about it since Kendra came and all.

I was nervous to face Cole and the others, what would they think or do? I hesitated before turning slowly around. My stomach twisted and turned as I stared at Cole’s unreadable face. He could easily be mad or happy that we were all safe, but which was it? Brad was the first to break the silence, shocker right?

“Well that was interesting,” Brad laughed.

I would never understand how he could be so calm and jocular about everything, even at the worst of times. I wanted to laugh also, just to release the stress I have but I knew it wasn’t the right time for that.

“Katie I need to talk to you in private,” Cole said quietly.

“Ah, come on, why can’t we join in on the conversation? We did witness all this too,” Brad said.

Cole shot him a ‘shut up or I’ll kill you’ look and Brad stayed quiet. I followed silently behind Cole as we left the apartment and went into the yard, which was filled with weeds and grass that was almost half as tall as I was. I didn’t want Cole to be mad at me for anything that happened. By the way, he was acting; he didn’t believe that I was telling the truth about Seth. Would I have to tell him about Seth?

“So what the hell was that in there?” Cole asked, fury showing in his bright green eyes.

“What do you mean?” I asked, innocently.

“Who is Seth?” He asked, frowning.

“Cole, as I told Kendra, I have no idea who that is.” I lied.

I hated to lie to him over and over again but I needed to do what was best until I could decide the right way to tell him about Seth. I need to see Seth, and talk to him about telling Cole. I know he needed to know but how was I suppose to tell him?

“Really? I know when you are lying, Katie. I am your brother.” He said, his face showing no emotion.

“Well then I guess you don’t know me that well because I’m not lying.” I lied.

God, now I was lying about not lying, great. How could I make him believe me?

He crossed his arms and looked really pissed off at me. His face was crunched together and his posture showed he didn’t believe me at all.

“You know what, I don’t even care anymore. Screw this, if you want to lie to your own brother, go ahead!” He shouted.

He went to turn away and walk back to the house when I caught his arm and forced him to face me.

“Cole, I need you to trust me and believe me when I tell you that I have no idea who Kendra was talking about. I’m not lying to you!” I said loudly. 

Was I actually getting mad at him for my believing me when I was lying? This was so messed up. I just needed to get away from Cole and let him cool off. I spun around and started to leave the apartment when Cole said, “Where are you going?”

“You need to cool off, so I’m going hunting.” I lied again.

Cole didn’t stop me from leaving instead he stood in the yard, watching me as I left. I really did need to blow off some steam and kill a demon or two before I went and talked to Seth. I sure didn’t convince Cole that I was telling the truth, but he would just need to believe me when I said I was telling the truth, even if I wasn’t. I really wish I had Alexa to talk to at this point. I couldn’t really talk to anyone about this but Seth, who really wouldn’t understand how I was feeling right now. I could remember the first time I met Alexa, I was out hunting when I came across her.