The Beach

I smiled. “You and I are going to go somewhere public with a lot of people, and if you can control yourself around other humans, then I will trust you.” I said.

            I thought of this idea because let’s say someone put your favorite dessert in front of you, but you didn't want to eat it because your on a diet, but they just keep waving it in your face, eating it, telling you how delicious it is. It would be a great test because the humans are like the dessert to Seth. If he can control himself and not try to kill anyone, then I will trust him.

            He hesitated before answering. “Alright. Where are we going?” He asked.

            “How about going to the beach?” I asked.

            “Sounds good.” He replied.

            I looked at the clock and it read eleven o’clock. I had to be back at the apartment in two hours. I followed Seth out the front door and we started to walk to the beach, which wasn’t that far away. I felt comfortable with him but then again I kept remembering what he was. This was so wrong. If Cole ever found out, he would freak out.

            Then I started to think about Kendra. Could she really be that bad and want to take over the world? She didn’t seem like that kind of angel. She was always so nice and thoughtful when she was around Cole and me. Then again, she was never a real guardian to us. She never protected us from demons; she just threw us out into this new world. Would she really use us just to kill of demons that weren’t on her side? This was all way to confusing. I was going to confront her as soon as I talked to Cole about it. If he asked, I would tell him that a demon told me about her before I killed him. He didn’t need to know about Seth, at least not for awhile.

            Seth and I left his house and began to walk to the beach which was about a mile or two away from his house. Please let this work. Please let me be able to trust him. As we got closer and closer to the beach, I began to notice more humans. For some reason, there weren’t too many demons hanging around the beach, just humans. The fresh smell of salt water filled my nostrils as the brightly lit sun shined on me. My stomach was in knots and I was extremely nervous but I wasn’t going to show Seth that I was. Just act like he is human.

            The loud sound of shouting kids and hushing adults filled the air. I rarely came to the beach but when I did, I always seemed to get annoyed by the crowd and noise. A part of me did miss when I could come to the beach and just relax after a day of demon hunting but it became more dangerous to that so I stopped coming here. We reached the snow white sand and I looked at Seth. He smiled confidently and gestured me to go first.      I stepped onto the sand, my feet sinking into it. I wished I had flip flops on instead of gym shoes. Seth’s footsteps followed quickly behind me. I wasn’t exactly sure what we were going to do but there were a good hundred or so people on the small beach. If he was telling the truth about not eating in awhile then he would be starving and the people would overwhelm him.

            “I’m telling you I can control myself.” Seth spoke as he walked to an open spot on the beach where we sat down.

            “I just have to see it for myself.” I replied back.

            I ran my fingers through the sand, letting each piece of it touch my hand. I loved the beach so much. The sound of waves crashing onto the shore was the best sound you could ever hear. If it wasn’t for the yelling people surrounding Seth and I, I would have enjoyed this more. I watched Seth closely but there was nothing about him that changed. His same mild look on his face never changed. He was busy watching the ocean for even think about killing someone. His breathing was constant and calm while his body wasn’t tense at all.

            After about an hour or of sitting on the beach and engaging into a few conversations between the two or us, I finally said, “so how are you doing?”

            “Perfect,” he grinned.

            I couldn’t help but smile back at him. He seemed to be very compelling and charming, which worried me some. I did believe him though. Now this will be the best or worst mistake of my life but I guess I won’t find out the results until the future. My main reason for trusting him is that he can control himself and that he did save my life which I think is a huge plus.

            “Did I pass my test then?” He asked.

            “I guess so.” I smirked as I got to my feet.

            I brushed the sand off my butt and Seth got to his feet. He started to walk away and I followed, confused on where he was going.

            “Where are you going?” I asked.

            “Just follow me,” he replied ignoring my question.

            Trust him, he won’t hurt you. He walked down the beach away from all the people that were resting on the beach or playing in the water. Where were we going? The end of the beach was near. All that was left was a cliff that hung over the ocean and then rocks that were attached to the cliff. Where were we supposed to go now?

            “Now what,” I asked.

            “Just wait until we climb this cliff and then you will see where we are going, we just have to get to the top to see it clearly.” He replied as he started to climb the cliff.

            He was insane; he wanted me to climb a cliff. I didn’t want to say no and curiosity was eating at me. I grabbed the first rock that I could and started to climb the cliff. I stared up to see that the cliff was about seventy-five feet or so and I started to get scared. I lost my grip a few times but never almost fell or anything. I figured Seth had been this way to whatever we were going to do because he seemed to know every rock to grab and where his footing was to go.

             He also wasn’t surprised when there was a ledge that led to a path. It was about twenty feet when a path appeared on the cliff. Seth reached down and helped me to my feet, my legs shaking. I looked down, wondering how I managed to climb that high without falling. Heights were not my most favorite thing in the world. There was a dirt trail that we followed until we were at the top of the cliff.

            Water roared at us from the bottom of the cliff and the wind whirled my hair from the height that we were at. Then I saw what he wanted to do. There was no way that he was making me do that. No way in hell. I refuse to do it. I shook my head rapidly and got a little dizzy from it.

            “Oh hell no,” I exclaimed.