Epilogue

For about an hour, Brad and I walked in silence, trying to find a place to live. Why did it have to be so hard to find? We made sure to take the back streets so it would be less likely for demons to spot me. The pain of losing Cole was still with me, but there were no longer tears. Before I had wished I was a normal fifteen year old who could have lived in a world without demons, but I realized that even without demons, I wasn’t even lose to normal. I was strong, and a fighter. Being normal was overrated, right?  I suddenly stopped walking and turned towards Brad who was giving me a questionable look.

            “We need to stop this. We have to move on like Cole would have wanted. He would have wanted me to be knocking demons out and you being the smart ass you are. Mourning will get us nowhere and Kendra is going to take over soon, so we need to man up and move on, before Earth becomes a living hell.” I said.

            “You’re right, but I’m not a smart ass! I’m amazing; I think is what you meant.” Brad smirked, as he started to walk, me following next to him.

            I let out a short laugh, a smile following it. What I needed right now was a little laughter or at least a smile. Betrayal and loss is the worst, but I’m moving on now and things have to get better sooner or later. The mood of our walk was lightened up some and we made small talk for awhile, talking about the most random of things.

            Thank God, I had Brad with me or I would have fallen apart. I remember when I meet him for the first time, three days ago. I never thought I could get to know someone that quickly, but I managed. Now, I can’t imagine my life without Brad. I punched him in the arm when he told me that I was too stubborn.

            “I’m not stubborn! Don’t even go there. I could say several things about you.” I smirked, thinking of all the names that could describe Brad.

            “Look, you just never listen and do whatever the hell you want. I’m not saying it’s bad, but it’s true.” Brad said defensively.

            I crossed my arms and made a pouting face as I punched him in the arm once again. He groaned as he rubbed his arm where I hit him. He lifted up the sleeve and there was a giant red mark. I couldn’t help but grin as Brad whined about how that hurt and that my punches kept getting stronger.

            “Well, stop insulting me and I won’t hit you.” I said.

            My phone vibrated and I pulled it out to see that Annabella had texted me. She told me that she talked to Seth and he would leave me alone. I wasn’t sure if I believed that, but I needed to trust her. I showed Brad and he nodded, probably not believing her either. Hopefully, I would never have to see Seth’s face again or I would probably try and kill him.

            Brad was about to say something when he froze. I stared at him, wondering what the hell was wrong with him, but I turned to see what he was staring at. My eyes widened as I stared at the group of demons heading our way. There was about ten of them and it would be almost impossible to fight them all off at the same time. They were walking together, scanning their surrounding as they walked. I fought the urge to scream when a human was in their path and they snapped her neck in a heart beat.

            I was yanked into the nearby alley by Brad. We ran to the very end of the alleyway, never taking our eyes away from the entrance. I held my breath as the group walked passed the alley, not bothering to look down at us. Once they passed, I sighed, leaning my head against the concrete wall. I placed my hands on top of my head, trying to think of solutions to what was coming.