work week (1/2)☆

Song: Sunset Lover by Petit Biscuit

Unedited☆゚.*

    I shield my eyes from the bright sun of Onna, Okinawa as I step out of the taxi. The heat accosted me and I take a deep breath, the familiar smell of salty ocean and wet concrete filling my lungs. Behind my eyelids, visions of Santa Monica beach filter from my memories. Memories before things got bad. Memories of beach volleyball and blissful days floating on my back, trying to make shapes out of clouds without blinding myself with the sweltering sun. My eyes open and I see a very different scene.

    There were few tourists, seeing as usually they congregate in Chatan or Naha, but the townspeople conversed and biked around, satchels full of fresh bread and other groceries. Children ran on the cracked paved road, hot concrete seemingly not affecting their feet.

    I stretch my legs out, muscles tense from sitting in the back of a hot, cramped taxi for almost two hours. And before that, a three hour economy class flight from U.A. I didn't expect the work week to be luxurious, and I was right. However, while the other students were spending their weeks in cramped office buildings, we would be staying in the plush Renaissance Resort in Onna. 

    "(Y/N)-San? Momo-San?" A small voice implores behind us. I turn to see a young-ish girl, maybe mid twenties, in a uniform: blue polo and khaki pants, a name tag reading "Hana", and lastly, a small R embroidered near the name tag.

    I nodded softly, confirming the young girl's inquiry. A smile spread across her face and she straightened her back, but behind her smile was an unmissable anxiety.

    "Welcome to the Renaissance Resort, are these your bags?" She asked, pointing to the dozen bags that sat on the ground next to the taxi that Momo was paying. As soon as the money was in his glove box, the door slammed abruptly and the taxi sped off down the small, one-way road.

    "Yeah." I answered sheepishly, rubbing the back of my neck in embarrassment. 12, maybe 13 bags for two girls. About 10 of them were Momo's and she had more before the airport surprising informed her that she could not, in fact, bring an entire duffle bag (or eight) of military grade weapons. This was truly a shock to all.

    "No worries, we'll have someone down in just a moment to bring them up to your suite."  My eyes widened at the word. I was fluent in Japanese, but I must have misheard the mousy girl. Suite?

    My eyes flicked over to Mom, who was stretching her arms, expression neutral. I shrugged, turning back to the girl.

    "Should I show you to your suite now?" She asked, writing down something on her clipboard, and counting the bags one by one with her silver pen. It was one of the fancy ones, the fountain pens that has the business logo engraved in it. It reminded me of the ones my father used to write with. He had a collection of stolen ones from hotels and fancy businesses. I waved the memory from my head and followed the small girl into the resort.

    The main room was like any other hotel, polished and themed like an ocean get-away, potted plants lining the ways and comfy wicker couches occupied by old couples and platonic families alike.    

    After getting checked into our room and getting the card-keys, Hana led us up to the 23rd floor, the top floor. When we stepped out, I was surprised to see only to doors in the decorated hallway. Rooms 2030 and 2031. We were checked into 2030, the door on the left. Hana unlocked the door, and I would have liked to say I strolled into the loft suite easily, but that would be a lie. I stood in the doorway, as Momo pushed passed like nothing was out of the ordinary.

    Suite was an understatement. The room opened up to a floor-to-ceiling window, displaying the white band beaches littered with ant-like tourists and deep blue sea. To the right was a extravagant living room, newspapers and guides fanned neatly on the glass coffee table. An obscenely large television mounted to the wall, next to a door that I could only assume led to a kitchen. A larger door to the left opened up to a bedroom, two king sized beds, piled  high with silky pillows and duvets.