Chapter 5

Alex Danvers stood in Lena's office.

She had informed Lena of what she already suspected. Another attack orchestrated by her brother.

Lena looked out of her window. She was tired, really of his tirades. He had probably heard of her shutdowns of his secret labs. Lena had discovered some scientists he had secretly contracted out and shut them down as well as all of their projects. She didn't trust the kind of work they could have been up to for her brother.
They had caught the man responsible for the explosions. He had been easy for Lex to manipulate, disgruntled with her for being let go of. Lena had forgotten, they did let some employees from supply delivery go, but they were problem employees.

This one in particular liked to drink on the job.

"Is there anything else, Agent Danvers?" Lena's voice was cool.

"This is your brother's second attempt." Alex remarked. Lena closed her eyes, breathing in deep.

"I am aware."

"The offer for an agent still stands." Alex pushed.

Lena turned steely green eyes on Alex. "Will accepting your offer at least stop your agents from following me in secret?"

Alex smirked.

"I'll have to tell them to cover their tracks better."

Lena hummed her agreement.

"Then I accept."

Alex smiled. "I'll have them introduce themselves when they come to go over your new security measures."

A knock at the door alerted them both to a visitor.

Alex opened the door.

"Oh, Alex, I didn't know you were here." Kara feigned surprise. Alex raised an eyebrow at her. Kara gave her an innocent look in return. Alex covertly smiled.

"Well I'll get out of your hair." Alex leaned closer and whispered so low, she knew Kara's super-hearing could only pick it up. "I'll see if J'onn can pick up any emergencies for a few hours."

Kara's eyes widened but she was grateful nonetheless.

"Thanks." Alex squeezed her shoulder as she walked by.

"Kara!" Lena's smile was so warm, Kara felt it melt her insides.

"No lunch?" Lena wondered.

"Ah no, I'm actually on an assignment, but I wanted to drop by." Kara admitted.

"I, umm, Lena, I wanted to ask something?" Kara was more hesitant than usual. Lena regarded her curiously.

"Yes?"

"Can we have dinner later?" Kara adjusted her glasses.

"Dinner?" Lena questioned. "Kara, are you-?"

Kara rocked on her heels.

"Only if you're interested." Kara was blushing. It was cute. Lena felt her heart squeezing.

"Then, yes, Kara." Lena's smile was dazzling.

"Great, umm, meet you at my place?" Kara offered. "After 7?"

Lena bit her lip, smiling.

Kara had been slowly stepping closer the entire time. She leaned in to Lena and placed a kiss on Lena's lips .

Lena felt surprised, it was such a shy, sweet gesture. If Kara was the sun, Lena had just been thrown into it, blazing.

"7, wear something warm." Kara's eyes were sparkling.

Lena nodded, speechless. As Kara nervously bounced out of the room, Lena pressed fingers to the place Kara had kissed.

Lena knocked on Kara's door promptly at 7. She heard Kara calling through the door, then someone stumbling.

Kara opened the door. She was dressed for the cool autumn night.

"So where exactly are we going?" Lena wondered as Kara closed the door behind her.

"Well I know a place." Kara didn't elaborate.

"It's within walking distance, if you're okay with that?" Kara wondered. Lena nodded.

Kara led the way. They chatted. Lena mentioned her irritation at being followed by agents until they were sure there wouldn't be more attempts on her life. Kara expressed her concern at that, and pleaded with Lena that even if they were annoying, it was perhaps a necessary precaution.

The place they came to was something hip. There was a semi-outdoor seating area on a balcony that overlooked a rather beautiful park.

"This is one of my favorite places with a view." Kara told her.

"They also serve fusion chinese & my favorite: Potstickers!"

Lena laughed at that.

As they ate and exchanged glances, it was easy for Lena to forget that her life was sometimes in danger.

Lena had sat next to Kara, rather than across from her. She wanted to be close to her. Kara had been flustered by this. As their waitress took their orders, Lena couldn't help almost leaning into Kara. She had heard the hitch of her breath.

As Kara got a bit of sauce on the side of her mouth, Lena laughed and wiped it off. Kara was dazed as Lena put her finger in her mouth.

"Delicious." Lena's eyes were downright burning into Kara's.

Lena felt a bit of victory at Kara's clearly flustered state.

It was as they walked through the park below the restaurant that Kara seemed to finally find her courage.

"Lena." Kara spoke.

"Kara?" Lena turned toward the girl. Their fingers had been dancing, brushing against each other during their walk.

"Can I kiss you?" It was such a soft request, Lena's face lit up.

"I've been waiting all night, Kara."

Kara bit her lip nervously. She swallowed, Lena reached out and squeezed her hand as Kara's hand touched her hip. The other cupped her jaw.

They were leaning in when Kara suddenly doubled over in pain.