Chance Encounters

Camilla

It's opening day here for the Cubs and the city of Chicago was covered in blue. I myself was supporting a Lester shirt to go along with my jean shorts and cubby blue nikes. I walk from campus to the large grassy area in grant park and decide to study in the crisp morning air. I lay out a large blanket and spread out my books and notes into a organized mess. No one bothers be as I sit there with my nose in a book for hours, finals were getting so close and I was determined to graduate at the top of my class. I feel the rays hit me and take my hair down so my long brown waves reach the ground. I finish studying sooner than I imagined so I decide to collect my things and lay down for a little. My hair flies everywhere as I fall back on my blanket blissfully. I stare at the sky and let my mind run wild. I wasn't sure what I was going to do after graduation in August but I knew better than to worry about it now. Worrying just means you suffer twice, so I enjoy the peace and quite and admire this beautiful April day. I lace my hands together then rest them on my stomach letting them rise and fall with my breathing.

"A Lester shirt, huh" a deep voice asks as I hear them sit next to me. I usually talk to strangers, I loved meeting new people and this park was great for meeting people. So this encounter didn't strike me as unusual.

"Yeah, I have a thing for left handed pitchers" I joke.

"What about left handed first basemen?"

I sit up and turn to the guy because that was a really peculiar question and the Anthony Rizzo was sitting across from me criss cross applesauce watching my every move. What the actual fuck?

"Are you out here by yourself" he questions.

"Yeah, being alone doesn't mean you're lonely. I love the simplicity of being by myself" I defend.

"Why were you laying in the ground" he asks me.

"If we continue to look at life in the same perspective we tend to miss a lot. I find it important to see things from different angles, widen my horizon" I shrug.

"And why in the middle of one of the busiest cities in the world?"

"The future fascinates me, in a city like this the chance of something extraordinary happening is enough to keep my curious mind wandering.

You know... you have a lot of questions" I say a little questionably.

"And you have a lot of answers which is pretty impressive. Can I get your name" he wonders.

"Camilla, Camilla Mathews" I smile. 

"That's a really pretty name for a really pretty girl" he replies and my cheeks start to burn. I try to his my smile but there was no stopping it from coming up in my face.

Before I could undergo any further questioning I look at my watch and see my shift starts in 10 minutes.

"Oh shit, I'm going to be late to work" I say as he helps my pack up and shove everything in my book bag.

"Wait, what if I wanted to see you again" he asks grabbing my wrist.

"I'm so sorry but I can't be late to work, it was a pleasure meeting you Anthony and good luck at your game tonight" I yell taking off down the street.

Was Anthony Rizzo just trying to flirt with me? And more importantly did I just leave him hanging? Damn... I must be insane.

----------------------------------------------

I run in the diner and throw on my apron and started working quickly. I dodge the questions about what was keeping me because they wouldn't believe me anyway. What was I going to say, 'sorry I was almost late, Anthony Rizzo was talking to me and I left him in the park after he tried to get to know me'. I don't think so. I put the game on the tv and enjoy the small crowd that came to watch it. Thanks to Addison's eighth inning 3 run bomb the Cubs steal a win at home and everyone is happy.