Take Me Out to the Ball Game

Camilla

After falling 2-1 in the series against the Dodgers the boys started stealing stuff from Matt and all of the sudden they were good. Matt is one of my favorite people in the world, he once put his football and baseball career on hold to donate bone marrow to a total stranger to save their life. A extremely painful and dangerous process that could have derailed him from playing sports ever again. People like that are what we need in this world and I am honored to know him. And just because he wasn't on the Cubs' roster doesn't mean he's not good. This team is just amazingly stacked that there isn't room for him. But he's still finding his way to make a difference in the team. In game four he lended Addi his underwear (okay leggings) and he hits a huge home run... he gives Anthony permission to use his bat and he too hits a huge home run. Both those boys have huge nights and although we're not superstitious, let's just say nothing changed for the next game and the same result came.

Game six against the dodgers was at home with a chance to win it here. I sit in the stands making the Wrigley faithful like I always did, but this time I had someone to talk to.

"So Mr. Maxwell, how do you feel knowing you're one of the only few people who have seen the Cubs win the pennant twice" I ask as he looks around bright eyed. Like promised Mr. Cameron Maxwell is on hand to witness something only few people have the honor of doing, and that's seeing two Cubs pennants live and in person.

"They haven't even won yet" he laughs.

"Come on, these aren't the same Cubs we've watched for the past six years. There is no way anyone in the stands are going to interfere, no black cat or goat, they haven't had but two errors all series. Trust me when I say that this is the team. They're going to win" I assure him.

After introductions and the national anthem the game starts with Kyle looking real good. With Kershaw on the mound people seem to forget that the other guy lead the MLB with ERA this season.

"Man that guy is a stud" he sighs as Kyle calmly walks off the field.

"He's something else. Even leads the league in ERA and has the highest ground out rate yet he's still underrated. It's unbelievable."

"He's probably the best pitcher this year but no ones going to pick him over Kershaw here."

"Well I mean besides all of us" I laugh and he nods. Some people got that Kyle is a really really great pitcher. But so is Lester and Jake, even just on this team it's hard to give credit where credit is due. But he knows he's good and loves surprising people, so he's pretty satisfied.

In the bottom of the first Dexter leads off with a double and Kris singles them in, this game might as well have been over then. They weren't scared of Kershaw, no matter how good he was they knew they were better. Anthony gets a bloop double and there had yet to be an out and it's already 2-0.

"Okay, now I feel like there's no way we're losing this one" he admits.

"Geez old man what took you so long" I joke and he nudges my shoulder.

"So tell me, now that you're done with chemo? What are you planning to do with your life" he asks me.

"I want to travel. This world is beautiful and I want to see it. I mean not until they win the World Series, but I want to get around to it eventually. There's so much for me to see" I sigh dreamily.

"You should go to a different country, America offers some beautiful sights, but across the sea there are some beautiful destinations."

"I want to visit every continent someday" I admit.

As the game goes on the Cubs look better and better and the Dodgers look less and less comfortable. It comes to the eighth inning and Hendricks hasn't allowed a hit since the first inning. And that guy was picked off so he was still facing the minimum.

"Remind me why people ever doubted this guy" Mr. Maxwell asks.

"I wish I had a answer Cameron. I wish I did" I laugh.

The game ends with a 5-0 win and Mr. Maxwell had a great time. It was nice to hang out with him outside the diner, he's a free soul with my sense of humor. The boys insisted he came down and celebrated afterwards. This was a big deal after all. We watch them hand out the MVPs and shirts and caps before heading down.

"Great game honey, you made us all so proud" I say walking up to Anthony and kissing his cheek.

"Thanks, glad you were here to see it" he smiles. I hand Mr. Maxwell a pair of beer goggles and couldn't hold in the giggles. He looked like Doc from Back to the Future.

"Looking good" I laugh snapping a pic. Somewhere throughout the chaos I find Bri and hand with her for a little.

"These must be weird goggles, I thought I saw Mr. Maxwell over there" she laughs.

"Not the goggles, he's my plus one" I admit.

"So that is really him on Dexters shoulders" she laughs pointing to the 94 year old on a very tall mans shoulders.

"Oh god. They're going to break him" I groan. I don't feel like going to the hospital, I've been there enough to last a lifetime.

"Who knew he was such a party animal" she asks.

"Not I. But it does do me some good seeing him so happy" I admit. As the night goes on I enjoy reconnecting with Bri, she is still my best friend after all. Sadly the party has to end because there's still four more games to be won, but we head him with our heads up high.